System Restore Stuck

Discussion in 'Software' started by darlene1029, Jun 25, 2007.

1. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

My system restore has one date (todays) I tried booting in safe mode, the same. A while ago I disabled about everything in start up, picked up speed, worked better. So now I had the bright idea to disable all in running. Scared me! Got it back to start but now I beleive I have everything running. I figured the system restore would put it back to run what was needed, right?
    And - Please do not speak to me like a child, I'm sure most children know more about this then I do. :eek:

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

What is your problem,so you must restore your system?Do you have to much prog's in background?what is your info on your comp?

3. darlene1029

Yes, I think I have too many things running in the background that don't need to be. What info is needed? My OS is XP Home, 256 MB Ram, 1799 MHz Speed.
    I just looked and not everything is running but a lot.

4. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Hiya Darlene,

Depending on what your restore point is (the date you chose to revert your system to) will determine what will or wont be on your computer.

All system restore does is revert your computer back to the way it was on that specific date. So, if you downloaded or saved anything from that date on- it will be erased.

My question is, are you trying to you system restore to make your pc functional again? or just to restore programs?

5. darlene1029

Yesterday would have been good enough. It was today I decided to mess with it. I rely on system restore a lot. LOL Well maybe not all that much. Can't understand why it is stuck on today's date only. I figured if I put it back to yesterday it would not be running so many things. My grandson disabled a few a while back while here on a visit. Have no idea what they were.

6. dyamond

see the thing with system restore, you cant just choose any date. If you look at the calendar when doing a system restore only the highlighted (bold) dates are the ones you can choose. You can have it set-up that the pc will create restore points for you on say a weekly basis or it will create a restore point when ever you install something (i.e. a new driver, or software).

heck I love system restore... saved my bacon a few times LOL but once i had to go about 3 months back just to GET to a restore point... oh the tradgey!! lol

7. darlene1029

It's stuck on today, will not move any where, day, month, nothing, just June 25th.

8. dyamond

so im assuming you've tried clicking on other bolded dates and you cant? are you sure that today isnt the only restore point you have this month??

9. darlene1029

There are no other bold dates.

10. dyamond

Then sadly :( your pc did not create any other restore points this month.

If absolutely necessary, try going back to last month and look for the bolded dates.

11. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

If you turn System Restore off, even briefly, all saved restore points are deleted. Might your grandson have done that?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  12. darlene1029

@dymond, nope won't do that either. Stuck on that day, that month.

@greenknight, don't know if it has been turned off or how that can be done. No doubt if my grandson did, he's grown, works with computers, has for years.

13. dyamond

I'm not sure need/want to do this but just incase you want/need to "toggle" system restore - maybe it would get it going again - it would delete all your previous restore points but since you dont have any (except that one day) shouldnt be a problem.

1) Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and select properties.
    2) Click on the system restore tab.
    3) Check the box that says "Turn off system restore on all drives", then ok.
    4) Click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer
    5) To re-enable System Restore, do steps 1-3 again but uncheck the box "Turn off system restore on all drives".

Like I said I dont know if this will fix it or if you infact want to do it but i figured I would give you the option anyway :)

14. darlene1029

thought I would take one more look and now I have yesterday AND today as options. So something must have been turned off or cleaned out. Was skimming the other threads before posting this one and one mentioned Ccleaner. It was long so I didn't read the details. I ran mine recently. confused So it's building new points. Still think I should try what you suggest or does that enable it once it has stopped? Seems to be enabled now but from yesterday on.

15. dyamond

Im not sure what CCleaner does ... but if your pc is starting to create restore points again then something must have erased them all. Aslong as you keep creating restore points you shouldnt need to use my suggestion but check on it say a week from now and see if anymore are created. Im glad its working now :)

16. darlene1029

Ccleaner (crap cleaner) cleans out a lot. Whenever I run it have to sign in and use password every where. Got it here. Was recomended along with a list of other programs to protect and clean spyware. LOL works
    Thanks for your help :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds