System Restore won't work in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by rdsw1965, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

Hi All,

I got a call from my Mom yesterday, she's 83, and was told that she had "done something to the computer!" When I got there, I tried system restore, but there were no restore points for either C: or D:!! When I tried to create one, I got a message: A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F). How is this fixed?

Thanx in advance!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Is this a pre-built OEM PC like DELL, HP etc?

If so then try the below, helped another member with similar issue,

The D drive is not being used to save personal data to is it that you know of? as these are on OEM PCs the factory restore partition and always squeezed into a small partition.

Purge all your restore points, and try on the C drive right click > Properties > Disk Cleanup > All Users and when its done its scan click the More Options tab and then click under System Restore option Cleanup > Delete.

Then see if System Restore is active for D in Advacned System Properties, to get there click Start orb > right click Computer and choose Properties > in left menu click Advanced system Settings > System Protection tab and make sure D is not checked if it is un check it and click Apply

We did later on as a low memory space waring was continually poping up remove the D drive letter in Disk Managment (as typically on OEM PCs like Dells they your D as the restore factory partition but tend to use duff images that set it live as a drive) but only do this if the drive is warning still.

3. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

The system is a Compaq Presario SR2170NX. I tried the things you said, but it still doesn't work.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds