System upgrade (basically new system) -- comments please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by medgen, Mar 1, 2006.

1. medgen

medgen Private E-2

To set this up, here is a little background:

I had planned on upgrading my home system in about 6 mos. to 1 year. At that time I would have enough to buy buy the HQ video editing system that I really want. Unfortunately, I have been forced to renew early so I am trying to find a compromise that is both inexpensive but will meet some of my basic needs.

The computer will be used primarily by kids/family for downloading, web-surfing and some light MS-office type applications. This system also serves as my TV when I am using the exercise equipment that is also stuffed into the office. Primarily for that reason, but also to save on buying a new video card, I will be installing my ATI AIW 9600XT card on the new system.

The final thing that I really want it to do is some light-duty video editing. Although many find it hard to believe, I actually get a pretty good quality edited home video using Pinnacle Studio 9.0 (I know that Premiere, etc. is great but that is the future for me). I do this once a year, distilling about 20 hours of raw home video footage into about an hour of video set to music. Although quite an intensive task, it occurs just once/year so it is not the MAJOR use for this computer (and up to now I have been doing it on my dell X300 -- Pentium M 1.2 with 640 ram and 40gb HD!).

One thing I'm really not into is gaming of any sort, so it will not be used in that capacity.

So, for $600 Canadian (note that systems are slightly more expensive up here), here is what I am proposing:

AMD athalon 64 3200+
    Asus A8V 8X AGP DDR400 Audio GB-LAN SATA
    Corsair VS1G400C3 Value Select 1GB DDR400 PC3200
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATAII
    LG 16X DVD +/-RW dual layer
    Generic 350W tower

Alternative (everything same except following processor/mobo):

Pentium P4 630
    Asus P4P800 SE 8XAGP DDR400 audio GB-LAN SATA RAID

In particular, I am interested about comments in these areas:

1. P4 or AMD (remember -- no gaming, and highest load will be when rendering video)?

2. I have heard that the AIW cards may not be very compatible with the A8V motherboards. Does anyone expect that this will be an issue? (OK, I know that I am going to be told they are garbage, but that is one things I am not going to change right now -- also why I need 8X AGP instead of PCI-E).

3. I can't quite seem to find out whether this motherboard will support SATAII. If not, will probably get the Barracuda 200GB SATA drive.

4. Any general comments about the component makes. The place I am going with has (for about the same price), OCZ, Samsung and Kingston RAM, WD and Maxtor hard drives, and all kinds of DVD writers (although I figure they are all about the same these days.)

Thanks for any and all comments.

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

for what you are using it for both amd and intel will do just fine. with video I'd say intel may have a slight edge between those 2 chips but not enough for it to matter.all else looks fine

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are asking for trouble with that small of a PSU. You may not need it now, but you may in the future. Upgrade it to at least 450w, preferably 500+.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds