System Volume Information

Discussion in 'Software' started by skynest, Jul 5, 2013.

1. skynest

skynest Private E-2

I have Windows XP Home and I have a problem accessing the System Volume Information folder. My System Restore will not work at reboot, so I would like to do a manual restore with which I am familiar. I tried the cmd prompt command: C:\ cacls "C:\System Volume Information" /E /G SKYNEST:F and I get a corresponding good reply of: process dir: C:\System Volume Information. From what I know it should unlock the folder, but it doesn't. Access is still denied even after a reboot. So, after searching diligently I have come to majorgeeks.com because your community is the best! Can you get my system straightened out? Just so you know, I have no security tab under folder options in My Computer. Also, I cannot clear "Use simple file sharing" in the folder options View tab because it is not there! So, you see I have come a ways and am stuck.

I know I can do a manual restore using Windows Mini XP to access the folder from a CD, but it just seems to be such a round about way when I could just use Resore or get into the System Volume Information Folder.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You may need to restart the computer to safe mode by pressing F8.

This is from the Microsoft site:

The following steps also work if you restart the computer to Safe mode because simple file sharing is automatically turned off when you run the computer in Safe mode.
    1. Open My Computer, right-click the System Volume Information folder, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab.
    3. Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on.
    4. Click OK, and then click OK again.
    5. Double-click the System Volume Information folder to open it.

3. skynest

skynest Private E-2

Thank you. I wil try it. However, I tried again by right clicking System Volume Information and using the sharing tab checked share this folder on the network. Just did this to see what would happen. It came back with a message that said Windows could not share a folder with a name with more than 12 characters. So I hit ok and another message came up asking if I wanted to share the folder anyway which I said yes. Then another message came up and said I would be denied sharing. Well, I then was able to open System Volume Information even though it was not shared. (all this is in regular windows setting) All but three of my restore points were gone. All restore points were for that day. So then I used Mini Xp to see if somehow the lost points were hidden. Nope, they were gone. I did a delete file search and found them, but in every case some of the files in snapshot were 0 byte files and some had RlGESTRY... for a name. This just put me off and I dropped it. So something had changed the files in the Snapshot folder, the delete did not preserve the snapshot file, or the program that sniffed out the deleted files was not presenting the info correctly. I think the first is the one and I am continuing to monitor my computer. I will try to do a restore to see if it now works. But you have helped and I will try your idea in safe mode when and if ...

4. Paul2

Paul2 Private E-2

I'm baaaaaaaaacccccckkkkkkk!

If you have the time, a question please concerning your response to this thread.........

I was unable to access the System Volume Information folder (which also provided the response of 'this folder empty',and 'access denied') until I enabled 'Show hidden files and folders', and unchecked the box for 'hiding protected system operating' files/folders. However, there was no 'security' tab as you have mentioned. Another problem however......is that I cannot find the 'root' folder, nor can I find 'systemroot' folder....further, under Start>Control Panel>Folder Options, there is no box for 'use simple file sharing'.

For the moment, I think if I can locate the 'root' folder, there might be a System Volume Information folder inside it, that I can access (I cannot 'add' anyone for access, since there is no security tab on the (hidden) SVI folder.

And all of this just to find/access / modify the system 'sound' settings....thanks in advance!
    Paul2

5. mdonah

System Volume Information has nothing to do with System Sounds. It's used to keep Restore Points for your system.

If you want to modify System Sounds, go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices. Click on the Sounds tab, click on the Program events individually and then browse to the sound file you want to use for each event. Click Apply then OK and close Control Panel.

6. mdonah

You're right about the Security tab being missing in XP. That's for Vista and later. Sorry. :-o

7. Paul2

Paul2 Private E-2

I half suspected I was confusing one with another. My original design was to find out how to override the system sound/speaker settings, as at full volume I still cannot hear sounds well enough to understand the conversation (for instance). Many moons ago I stumbled across it by accident, it came with the usual warning about the limits of the ebook/laptop speakers, but I have long since forgotten how I got there. I have to use headphones to catch an entire conversation. Part of the problem I'm sure, rests with the 'volume level' available of the site I'm visiting, but in most cases a 'full volume' on the site and 'full volume' on my laptop still doesn't rise to a comfortable listening level.

Back to the second part of my question (feel free to point out that I'm not in the right part of the forum), can you advise on where to find the 'root/systemroot' folder (I presume it exists)? I'd like to poke around in that folder just to see what's there.

And, generally speaking, if I can identify the built-in camera in System Devices, will I be able to mark it as 'do not use', so that the system will be forced to use my USB camera? It gets confused when I plug the USB camera in, and turns on the system camera instead.
    Thank you again for your time,
    Paul

8. mdonah

Laptops normally default to Desktop for speakers type. There should be a drop-down where you can select laptop speakers. Perhaps that will produce better sound volume. I have that selected on my laptop and I don't have to go above 65% volume level. BTW, I'm hard of hearing.

The %SystemRoot% folder is C:\WINDOWS

You should be able to disable the boilt-in camera by right clicking on it in Device Manager and selecting Disable.

9. Paul2

Paul2 Private E-2

Believe it or not, I've tried every combination of speakers/rooms/hallways/etc., and can't get this thing to approach a reasonable level of sound. I will continue to work on this and will advise if I find something that works....maybe someone else can benefit from the results.

My 'built-in' camera device section shows 4 different cameras, and I know I only have one. I'll start deleting them and see what happens!

Welcome to the club, I only have one ear (by that I mean one is deaf, not missing entirely...cause if I only had 'one' I would probably be walking in circles due to the weight not being distributed properly....)
    Thanks!
    Paul

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Use a portable speaker in the headphone jack.
    Something like this [​IMG]
    you'd be surprised at the sound from such a small unit. This one cost me about $20.

11. Paul2

Paul2 Private E-2

Why, I'm very nearly at a loss for words! What a great idea! I shall begin looking for one at once...thank you for idea!
    Paul

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds