System will not defrag

Discussion in 'Software' started by techiegirl2, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Hello everyone:

I have Win ME, 256MB Ram. 12GB HD, AMDK7 Processor and my computer has NIS 2004 updated. I also have Adaware, Spyware, Spyguard and Advanced Disk cleaner, crap cleaner - courtesy of the geeks site.

My system will not defrag, even when I put it in safe mode. It sits in scanning for errors and does not proceed further.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks

2. Gottaminit419?

Gottaminit419? Private E-2

Sounds like something (program etc )is running and therefore interfering w/defrag --just make sure all running programs are closed/off and then run it again and see what ya get--

Hopethathelped :)

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I'm assuming that your are using something other than ME's built in defragmenter. I agree with GottaMinuite in that it has to be another program running in the background that is interferring with the process. Follow his suggestions and post back if it doesn't work! :)

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just out of curiousity, how much free space have you left on your 12gig hard drive? How often do you housekeep to delete the stuff everyone accumulates after every net session? Let us know. Bazza

5. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

I have finally defragged the system using a shareware program from the board, Diskeeper.

The system will not scandisk still....?

I also shut down all programs running in the background.

Any other suggestions?

*I can scandisk in safe mode...

6. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

I have tried those suggestions and my system will still not defrag or scan disk.

Any other ideas???

7. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Hi There
    Have you tried to boot up in safe mode and run scandisk from there followed by defrag?
    12 Gb is not a helluva lot of drive space in these days when programs are very space greedy.
    I hope this helps you
    Regards
    Robert

8. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

That is what I am trying next, I will keep you posted.

9. hfmoller

hfmoller Private E-2

Hi Techiegirl2

Try this:

* First make a Winme Startup Disk (maybe later you will be required to use it)

* Clear your Intenet Explorer temp files (cookies, history and temp internet files) and also your C:\Windows\Temp files assuming Windows is on your C: drive (mine is Winme on D: and WinXp on E:)

* Use a startup editor to temporary disable any startup items run from the Start menu Startup folder and various startups in the the registry (use Startup.cpl - I can email it to you or you can download it if you do not have it)

* Install Spybot - Search and Destroy and run it

* Run a virus check

Now try again, if Scandisk and Windows Defrag are still not co-operating do the next few steps.

Edit your System.ini and change the Shell in following section under [boot]

Change the following line:
    shell=Explorer.exe
    To:
    to Scandisk.exe
    And save the changes

Now Reboot and just Scandisk will load, (no desktop will appear, just the background color) and run Scandisk now. When done press Contol+Alt+Delete with the startup disk in the floppy drive. Startup in MS-DOS PROMPT (ALT-F5) and edit your System.ini and restore the value you changed previously back to Explorer.exe and reboot again.

Hope this works and good luck Please let me know.

Best Wishes
    Francois Moller
    Cape Town
    hfmoller@ananzi.co.za

10. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Thanks for the message, but I finally achieved success by going into Safe Mode.
    I scanned the computer and it did find errors, and only then was I able to defrag the system.
    But at least it was successful..

11. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I'm confused, I thought you said it wouldn't work in Safe Mode?

Quote:

"My system will not defrag, even when I put it in safe mode. It sits in scanning for errors and does not proceed further"

12. hfmoller

hfmoller Private E-2

Hi Techiegirl2

Glad it all worked out in the end.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds