System with RAID won't boot from CD after MBR apparently is erased...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Add|ct, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

I'm not sure if the HDDs are going bad at the same time(the computer is 2 or 3 years old) or what but here is what happened.

I have a 64-bit XP Pro system with RAID(1 HDD mirroring the 1st and a 3rd HDD as a backup/restore HDD)...

I updated my Avast! anti-virus and after it required me to restart it started having this 0x00000080/c000021a stop errors.

As the computer boots up it detects the primary HDD as 'unbootable' and so I do a recovery option when it asks me and it says mirrored HDD status is 'bootable but degraded', when it changed the primary to the backup and the backup(mirrored) to the primary in order to boot the system.

After this it booted to the sign on but then crashed when I went to type in the password. So, we attempted a system restore in Safe Mode to before the Avast! anti-virus updated.

This seemed to have the system stable and working, but Avast! asked to restart shortly after this b/c the update apparently went on through automatically(even though we system restored to the day before the update?)...

Now, when we try to load system restore it just hangs forever and eventually blue screens or restarts on its own. I've tried turning off RAID and booting from the backup(3rd) HDD but nothing. I before the MBR has been effected in some way.

To top it all off, he doesn't have a x64 bit XP CD AND the computer won't boot from CD either. It stalls when it attempts to read the CD and won't continue to boot up until the CD its trying to read is removed...

Ideas???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds