System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by boyder326, Dec 28, 2008.

1. boyder326

boyder326 Private E-2

I turn on my computer and a black screen comes up saying that windows cannot load because that file is missing or corrupt. I read about what I should do. There is one problem, I do not have the XP disc that originally came with my computer. What do I do now? Can I use the other discs from other computers or do I have to contact the manufacturer and get one from them? If so, how much will that cost me?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    If you have an XP disc, and can boot to it, you can use this guide to repair your Windows from the Recovery Console. Ideally, the disc would be a 'generic' Microsoft Windows XP install disc; if you have a Windows disc from Dell, Gateway, HP, etc, it should be OK as long it is a Windows installation CD, and NOT a recovery CD. A recovery CD will be full of specialized drivers, 3rd party programs, etc, where a Windows installation CD will just have Windows on it, without any company specific software or drivers on it.... you can also try this guide but it's very involved. However, if you read through it all the way a few times (print it out for reference if possible) before starting, it's actually fairly straightforward, it just has a lot of precise steps that are easily accomplished if you're careful and take your time.
    Good luck!

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds