system32 window at startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by nactigal, Aug 6, 2006.

1. nactigal

nactigal Private E-2

I recently went through the thread on malware removal. At one point, it had me turn off Safeboot mode in the windows config. Then later, it has me turn the /Safeboot back on.

Ever since I did this..... I have something strange happening. First of all, I easily got rid of all malware....thanks to all...but, now, upon logging into my windows account, an exporer windor always opens up on my desktop in the system32 directory. What is going on?

Thanks,

Nactigal
    :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's ....Here's the Solution: Go to this Kellys-Korner link and when you get to that webpage; scroll down to #260 on the right-hand side, and click on the "System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot" entry.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

3. nactigal

nactigal Private E-2

This Kelly's corner website does not work. I cannot find the page you mention.

Thanks,

Mark

4. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

5. nactigal

nactigal Private E-2

This script does not work.

I get a window popped up that says...

The script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

6. nactigal

nactigal Private E-2

I still have the problem. System32 window opens when I log into any account. Windows XP. The proposed solutions did not work.

7. TimW

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
    Go to Start/Run and type in: msinfo32 From there navigate to Software Environment, Startup Programs. The Command column will show you the exact command line used. You are looking for a listing that uses a long file name/path with spaces in it, that is not enclosed in quotes. If found that is the culprit. Go to Start/Run/msconfig/Startup. If this is the case go to Start/Run/Regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Look here for the program/folder in question. If listed, double click the entry and put the full path name in quotes. And Verify that all the values in these keys do not contain any incorrect, incomplete, or null entries (such as ""). System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q170/0/86.asp

OR:
    Go into your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options", under the "View" tab make sure that "Restore previous folder windows at logon" is unchecked, click Apply/OK.

OR:
    I found the following regarding Dell Computers with the Sound Blaster Audigy program. Haven't tried it yet, but will when I get home. System32 folder on startup:- Method 1 :- There's a startup demo for the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 that is causing the \L:Eng program to remain in your startup. You need to access this program's Welcome Screen again. Go to Programs, Creative, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Welcome Message. Make sure to check Do not show this again. \L:Eng will be removed from your startup and that annoying c:\windows\system32 folder will not display at restart; and you won't have to look at the Selective Startup window either. Method 2 :- On several systems recently, this problem has been caused by a line on the startup tab of msconfig. Go to Start|Run|type msconfig and click OK. On the startup tab, look for /L:ENG. If found, uncheck it. That entry is associated with the SB Audigy 2.(taken from a post by Denny Denham)

OR:
    The last time I saw this, was after virus removal, and the command for its executable was still there in msconfig, even though the virus was gone.look in the Run strings in the registry, there is an entry there that was probably left behind by a cleaned virus, since the file’s gone, the folder opens.

8. nactigal

nactigal Private E-2

TimW Thank you for your detailed help. I went thru your first option. I found a command line that had several spaces which was not enclosed in quotes. I went through your regedit method, and added the quotes. All seemed good, however, I then restarted my computer, and I still have the problem.... System32 window still appears. The command line that had no quotes is: "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\works shared\wkufind.exe"
    Should I edit this back to what it was, or leave it with the quotes?

I then went to your second option... and it was unchecked....as desired.

I do not have a Dell computer with Sound Blaster Audigy 2..... so the third option didn't apply.

The fourth option you listed still seems possible. I'm not sure where the RUN strings are in the registry. What entry do I look for?

I appreciate your help.

9. TimW

First look in the msconfig start up for anything that you might recognize as having been a virus ......or just don't recognize at all ....uncheck them (can always go back ....it just stops stuff from starting ....it requires a reboot after every change ....so uncheck the ones you don't know/want ...reboot ...see if the problem is gone ....if so ...recheck them one by one...to see which causes the problem (which is what the utility is for : diagnostics).

10. nactigal

nactigal Private E-2

Thanks for this detailed help.

I worked thru what you said...exactly....checking and unchecking and restarting...etc....untill I had tried them all. None of them fixed the problem. ????

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds