Takes a few times to get past POST...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MainDeity, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MainDeity

MainDeity Private E-2

One of my systems you'll have to manually turn off the power about 2-3 times before the system boots past the POST screen. You can tell straight away that it's not going to load because it makes a sound like something is rubbing against a moving fan. I've checked and can't find anything touching a fan.

When it does load the HW Monitor will show -1c for CPU and Case(?) temps. It'll also show that the voltage are reading high. Example 12v will read 16v, 3v will read 5v. Also on a failed boot the screen will have artifacts on the top like white pixels and solid brackets.

It runs perfectly once it boots up.

I've switched HDD from my WD to my Seagate, the WD is still hooked up. Installed Windows 7 on the Seagate and the problem still continues, which didn't surprise me I just like Seagate better rolleyes .

I'm thinking PSU? Any other ideas?

I've attached the Speccy log from the problem computer.

Attached Files:

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

possably. could be MB or GPU too though.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

With all strange noises you must find out where the noise is coming from,if you can't tell get a cardboard tube from kitchen roll or similar and hold it to your ear then move the end around the computer.

Off the top of my head check there isn't cdrom in the cd tray and your computer is trying to boot from it I suspect this to be the problem,better yet remove all disk drives add in cards,use one stick of memory in dimm 0 while you diagnose the problem.

Make sure your computer is set to boot from only your hardrive and disable other devices in bios,enter boot menu F10 or F11 usually at post and select your boot drive the first boot device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds