Taking control of a folder and subfolders

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jgke, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Jgke

Jgke Private E-2

For some reason, once my games folder just deleted all using permissions to all users, but I could sort it out by simply taking the access. But now I have a problem: There are tons of subfolders, and they didn't get that I am the owner, and I must change all of them one by one to take full control. Is there some way to do this automatically?

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

What version of Windows are you using? In Windows 7, go back to the ownership interface and tick the "replace owner on subfolders and objects" and reapply the ownership again.

3. jimmmy60

jimmmy60 Private E-2

might sound simple but a straight forward, "system restore" should do the trick

4. Jgke

Jgke Private E-2

Windows XP Professional (x64)
    But now that I think, I am going to format the computer without any need to take backups. I am not certain when this will happen, because I ordered some parts for my comp and they haven't yet came... But until this it would be good to have everything okay for normal use.

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

There should be a VERY similar option in WinXP (a box to tick in the ownership properties dialog box that applies the changes to the subfolders/files), so again... just make sure you tick that box and take ownership of the folder again. It should apply the change then to all folders/files within the folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds