Task Killer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ichinzen, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

I need a program that can esentially end processes running in fullscreen. This is just in case they freeze and I can't end them with task manager due to the fact that task manager isn't always on top. Many of these programs would get messed up or wouldn't function like they should when programs are attempting to be on top of them, like video games.

I need to configure taskkill exe that when run from a shortcut to kill programs that are in fullscren.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can use Alt + F4. Depending on the program, it will exit fullscreen or, exit fullscreen and terminate the application.
    To open Task manager you can use Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

3. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

If only it were that simple to kill all frozen and unresponsive full screen programs if only. The problem is some full screen programs when they freeze prevent task manager from getting on top, meaning you can't end process. The only other options are to restart, shutdown, or sign out. This is why I need a program that will kill unresponsive, frozen full screen programs. Skyrim is especially prone to freezing, and is the primary source of signing out, due to the fact that when it's frozen I can't get task manager on top of it to execute an end task command.

That is why I need task kill exe when run, to terminate full screen programs that are unresponsive, or at the very least unresponsive programs, whenever I can't get to the task manager.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Rainmeter gives you the ability to have skins at the top most level, even over full screen, though I am not sure about games. Set at Topmost, they do show over full screen video. Skins, also have functionality associated with them like click to open a web site, etc., and they can be small and skins support transparency. The Omnimo Theme for Rainmeter has over 100 tile shaped skins, and you can adjust everything about the tile, including transparency. I don't think there is a tile for what you want, but if you look around deviant art you may be able to find something.

The best part about skins is that the script can be edited from the skin itself. With Omnimo, you could configure a skin using the "create a tile" skin, and then go to the Rainmeter board and see if you could find someone to write the script for you...

5. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

you lost me about halfway through. I'm assuming that this could be used for task manger to get around the issue of unresponsive fullscreen programs preventing me from accessing task manager? If not then perhaps be able to run a program using Rainmeter that will end unresponsive programs like that?

Honestly I just want somethng fairly simple and easy to use in an emergency like if theres no alternative but to sign out and such.

6. AtlBo

I don't know of an easy answer. I think you need a custom app to do what you require (meaning I don't think it exists presently). A good Windows programmer could help you. It wouldn't be a difficult program to write.

Also, you could probably find someone on the Rainmeter board to create a Rainmeter skin that would do this if you try. You might run into an app writer on the board there, too.

Maybe someone here could write it for you. There are some scripters around...

7. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

-where would i go on this site to get it done?

8. Eldon

Did you try Alt + F4 ?

9. AtlBo

Try here and see if you can get pointed in the right direction:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewforum.php?f=27

I played around with Rainmeter with a tile that creates tiles. You can assign program for the tile to open or an internet site for it to open, but you would need the correct Rainmeter script for it to shut down the program in focus. You can edit the script of Rainmeter skins, so applying the script change would be a copy/paste operation basically, if you can get the script.

Tell them on the Rainmeter board someone told you that there is a "Panel Creator" in the Omnimo theme that you might be able to use to create a small 1x1 tile that would always be on top and would shut down the top most program. See if you can get something started there.

I used to edit skins but mostly just the look of them, changing blue to orange or resizing a skin...this kind of thing. Rainmeter is a blast if you ever get into it...

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This program has been around since 2007 but it might help.

11. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Alt F4 never works on frozen or unresponsive programs. That's why an unresponsive program is called as such, unresponsive program usually can be moved around, but any direct commands such as perform any kind of action like closing is not possible. The only surefire way to make such a program close is to kill the process that allows it to run.

12. Eldon

13. AtlBo

How do you find this stuff Eldon? That looks like it might work...

14. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

15. Eldon

Only if the game has anti-keylogger protection.
    We'll only know once the OP tries the suggestions instead of explaining 'why an unresponsive program is called as such'.
    Ichinzen, have you enabled Task Manager to be Always On Top?

16. AtlBo

It also says this, although I don't know what it means.

This is referring to the case where games have keylogger protection.

17. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

How would I enable the timercheck?

18. AtlBo

There is a setting in the system tray. Look for the icon for the program there and right click on it. Where it says options, you can select timercheck.

I couldn't get this to work, unfortunately using the Alt+Ctl+F4. There is something called xKill in the settings menu in the system tray. That worked for me, but you won't be able to get to that to use it when you are full screen. I didn't try the Win+F4 keys. I didn't notice that until after I removed the program.

360 Total Security noticed this as a keylogger. That makes perfect sense, but I just allowed it. You might get a similar alert.

If this doesn't work for you, it's the correct code. Hopefully it will work for you. The xKill is the real thing for sure...

19. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to use system tray to set up timercheck. I've never run skyrim through it's exe but rather through a mod organizer and more rarely steam. Both of those programs use skyrim's launcher which unfortunately doesn't show p either.

20. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If this freezes in full screen, how are you getting to a shortcut?
    You can just make a batchfile.
    open notepad type:
    taskkill /F /IM program.exe

File save as kill.bat, change the drop down to all files.
    The file should have a gear icon and run when double clicked.

21. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

the taskbar of course. when i do a ctrl alt delete and click task manage it goes from being fullscreen to simply being maximized like most all other windows but even then it cannot handle being anything but fullscreen.. If I place the shortcut there I could run it that way. Also only need skyrim to be killed though it's literally the only reason for posting since when it freezes makes it impossible to use task manager. (i prefer having it crash outright.

22. Eldon

Just press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.

23. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

I already stated previously that task manager doesn't work because skyrim hogs the screen. Now could somebody tell me how to set up the timer check without going through system tray, cuz at this point I'm getting nowhere fast.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds