Taskbar and start menu missing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by odysseus, Feb 24, 2005.

1. odysseus

odysseus Private E-2

I run windows xp pro and during an internet session my taskbar and start button disappeared. When i minimise a window to the taskbar i cannot get that window back whatever i do. I have tried rebooting to no avail and have also tried to change the settings in the control panel for the taskbar and start button but i cannot get into it to do it. Can anyone please tell me what has happened and how to rectify this.
    Thanks
    Odysseus

2. likenowaydude

likenowaydude Private E-2

Not sure I can help, but you might want to try a few things. If the task bar/start button is minimized, you should be able to drag it up again by putting you mouse pointer at the very bottom of your screen. If the bar is just pulled down, you should get an arrow when you move over the minimized window.

Another possibility is that you hit f11 in IE and maximized the IE window. If this is the case, hitting f11 again should return things to normal.

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

it's possible you have minimized your taskbar (if so, you can right click and drag it) , or have it set to autohide? i'm not sure what all you've checked. try checking your settings for your monitor (on your monitor), and make sure they are not too big (so you can see the edges). check around all of the corners. i have seen people that have their settings to large, and of course the couldn't see it. or have accidentally moved the task bar to the sides. anyway, g/l - sos

4. odysseus

odysseus Private E-2

I have done all that you have suggested but i still cannot get the task bar and start button back. What makes things worse is that i cannot access the task bar and start button options fro the control panel in windows xp.
    Every other button in the control panel screen works fine.
    Glad for any help.
    Spartan

5. Verig

Verig Private E-2

"I run windows xp pro and during an internet session my taskbar and start button disappeared."

"What makes things worse is that i cannot access the task bar and start button options fro the control panel in windows xp."

Nasty virus/spyware? Try some antivirus program + Ad-Aware SE and Microsoft Antispyware. Can't really think anything else.

6. odysseus

odysseus Private E-2

I tried everything to resolve this problem but in the end i had to do a system restore. Everything is now OK.
    Thanks for all of the help guys
    Odysseus

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds