Taskbar not showing active programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcrawfor, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

WindowsXP. The taskbar does not reflect open programs. One can still hold down the 'Alt' key and tap the 'Tab' key to view or switch programs.... but there is no rectangular task button reflected for the open programs in the taskbar. Otherwise, the PC appears to function properly. Any suggestions?

2. hcrawfor

I have checked ‘Properties’ on the Taskbar, and they appear normal…. everything is ‘checked’ except “Auto-hide the taskbar” and “Hide inactive icons”. Other then this slight glitch the PC appears to function properly.

This is occurring on a friend’s PC who is a computer novice. She only works on one application at a time anyway…. either email (Outlook), Word or IE. It’s simply a mystery to me and I like to resolve mysteries <grin>. I also ran CCleaner…. ‘Run Cleaner’ and ‘Registry’. That didn’t help. I didn’t bother with a system restore because I believe the system has been in this state for several months and there wouldn’t be an old enough restore point.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This could be your solution: Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

However, it might be that the quick launch and the program toolbar now is on the same line or "bar", and that the regular program line/bar has been moved to the extreme left, therefore not showing the active programs/windows.

You could try to right click, de-activate "lock the taskbar", and then try to re-arrange the whole by moving things about. You will get "delimiters" showing where the different elements are split.

4. hcrawfor

Thanks. I'll give it a try next week when I can access the computer in question

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds