Temp Files/cache

Discussion in 'Software' started by FED UP, Jun 25, 2005.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Is there a program I can use to access/view Temp File/Cache content AFTER
    it has been cleared through the browser's TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS ?
    I know that these files are not wiped from the hard drive, and will remain until something is written over the disk space sooner or later...
    I checked the downloads section, and did not see anything obvious that would do this for me...

2. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

To get to the temporary internet files click on "My Computer" > click on "C: drive" > click on the "Windows Folder > scroll down to the "Temp Folder"

Or did you mean the temp files? if so click on "My Computer" > click on "C: drive" > look for the "Temp Folder"

controlmind

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Yes, thanks indeed.
    What is the message "running a system command on this item might be unsafe"
    all about?
    Also, what purpose would be served by changing the amount of disk space allotted for cache?

WEWT!

What the?!?! You mean I cant just CLICK on a smiley anymore??
    You mean I have to MANUALLY TYPE THEM IN?!?!?!?!
    OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!
    GIVE ME CONVENIENCE OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!!!!!

5. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Simply forget the "unsafe" message! Decreasing the cache will result in longer loading times for large websites when you enter them a second time - personally I do not safe any temporary internet files, because it's really useless in my case ... Afaik the memory anyway's won't be accessible, because windows reserves it for caching ...

6. ElectricTNT

ElectricTNT Private E-2

7. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Okay, I downloaded TracesViewer, but its not finding anything.
    I use Firefox, I wonder if that has anything to do with it not finding anything..... :confused:
    Hm.....Any suggestions?
    Remember, I am trying to view/access these files AFTER they have been 'cleared' by the browser and/or CCleaner....

8. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

When they are cleaned they are deleted,however there are softwares that can recover deleted file,and they works for all files deleted not just temp files(as long as it is not overwritten).

9. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Okay, then that brings me back to my first post.
    What programs will do this?

10. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

11. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

If you want to be in complete control of your TIF & Cookies folder the only real way, IMO, to do so is by way of creating a RAMDisk drive (created from physical ram). It creates a B: drive. Then move the TIF and Cookies folders onto it. That way whenever the pc is rebooted the B: drive is cleared and upon reboot these folders will be created anew. This works for IE.

Cheers

12. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Okay..
    What is different about how Firefox handles TIF/cache/cookies etc. and how IE handles the same things?
    By the way, thanks for all of your input, guys!
    ;)

Oh yeah, I like the RAM drive idea...That wont work with Firefox?

13. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

I have only set up IE in the RAMDisk drive. I think this can also be done with FF. Basically what happens is that a new drive B:\ will be created on your pc. The o/s XP will show it similarly to your other drives. The only difference being that this 'drive' is made up from memory allocated from the physical memory that you have on your mobo.

There are 2 clear / independent steps here 1. Creating the RAMDisk drive and 2. Moving the relevant folders onto to it (making appropriate registry entries or other where required). It was not difficult at all to do.

Going back to FF. I think you will need to edit some aspects of it to redirect the Cache & cookies folder. Below is the thread that I followed to create the Ramdisk drive. It has all the info for IE. Towards the bottom part of the thread someone confirms that FF can do this also and gives details. Those details only discuss the cache and not the cookies folder.

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33794

I only started using Mozilla a little while ago and was going to find out how to do this also for both (TIF/cache & cookies) folder. If you can get any further info let me know.

Hope this helps

14. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds