Temps for CPU/MB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D0DG3R, Feb 1, 2006.

1. D0DG3R

D0DG3R Private E-2

My new computer is up and running thanks to the good people who replied to my hardware post. This question has probably been answered, but I couldn't find it:

What is a good temperature for the CPU and MB to run at? Mine's at 59 deg. celcius for CPU and 31 deg. celcius for MB (while in BIOS, cause I haven't installed the OS quite yet). My case has alarms I can set so that it will warn me if the temp gets too high, so I just was curious as to what I should put in those settings.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

mobo shouldn't get above 50C it isn't normal for the mobo to get hot at all. cpu should stay under 60C load, above 65C is dangerous and below 55C load/>50C idle is reccomended. the video card should stay under 80C under load, try to keep it under 75C those are all pretty high temps, it is best not to let things hget that hot, cooler is better any time.

3. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Do you have any case fans? Is so, are they set up to pull air in from one end and blow it out the other end of the case? That can make a huge difference on CPU temps, as can tidying up your cables.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Way too many generalities there. It is normal for a 7800GTX to hit 80C or so under a heavy load. It is not unheard of for a motherboard to get to similar temperatures, as a CPU. When talking these types of temperatures, you need to specify the hardware you are talking about.

For instance:

AMD 64 X2 4400+
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

My motherboard typically runs the same temperature as my CPU, and soemtimes above that. However, even under a heavy load, it barely moves up in temperature. It has passive cooling, in case you are wondering why. I talked to Asus, they said this was perfectly fine for the motherboard, and that it was because the components I have put more stress on the NB. Only thing I can really do is cut a blowhole in my case and install a new fan. There are also theories that the sensor for the motherboard is close to the PCIe slot and the GTX is skewing the temperatures. Looking across the net, I am not alone, even with those who have reviewed the board.

Attached Files:

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I have to agree with Adrynalyne it really depends on make and model of your CPU and or mobo. I'VE GOT A PRESCOTT, (P4E 3.0Ghz, 478 pin) it doesn't take you much searching to find numerous threads and posts on high temps with these babies. Even the technical experts recognise these chips hit higher than average temps and I'm sure there is going to be a positive relationship btwn CPU and mobo temps (signifcantly correlated). Mine is currently CPU@55C w mobo@46C with minimal load.

I've been looking around for after market cooling and found a "Thermaltake Polo 735 Heatsink and Fan" for AU$49 (US$30) w manual CPU fan controls. Some tech's were saying this may drop temp by upto 20C, happy if i get 10C. I am seriously considering this as I spent a bit on my sys and want to preserve it.

http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsinks/2004/Thermtake_Polo735_April.shtml

They make some pretty serious cooling gear!

Attached Files:

6. rescuecheck

rescuecheck Private E-2

I'm running a x2 4400 @ 2.63GHz on water and 1.5V applied. Ever since upgrading from my old Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI to the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, my CPU temperature has increased to 40- 44 degrees idle temperature. I suspect the A8N32 reports inaccurate temperatures because the same setup ran at 32-35 degrees idle on my Gigabyte board. I even added a second radiator and didn't even put a dent in the temperature. I have tried Arctic Clean, AS5, and Ceramique with no success in lowering the temp. Something is going on here with the temperature probes in these Asus boards. Oh, separate issue...3dMark05 score decreased after A8N32 upgrade and same CPU/RAM/Video...I thought I'd see an increase, but it was quite the contrary....should have read the reviews and waited for better X16 technology before I bought it.

A8N32-SLI Deluxe Bios 1103
    Toledo x2 4400 @2.63GHz
    Corsair TWINX 2048-3500LL
    (2) BFG 7800GTX (38-41 degrees on water)
    Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    WD Raptor
    WinXP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds