TeraStation PRO joining Active Directory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by afstcklnd, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afstcklnd

afstcklnd Private E-2

We are trying to connect a Buffalo TeraStation PRO II to Microsoft Active Directory by the join process is failing. Buffalo's knowledge base is useless as is the 'debug' in the TeraStation system log so I'm hoping somone else has had a similar problem and got over it.

OK some facts...

AD is set-up on Server 2003 R2 Standard with a ".Local" FQDN config and everything is working OK. NetBios domain is COMPANY and 'Realm' is COMPANY.Local and domain controller is "mozart". In addition to AD, this server is running SharePoint server.

The TeraStation has been given the name "TSTN1TB" and this has been added as a "pre-2000" Computer recrod in AD.

On the TeraStation, we have successfully joined the NT Domain with a name and computers can see the shared folders but access control is based on TeraStation user control.

When trying to add to AD, if you get any of the domain or controller names wrong, error messsages are reported. get them right and it tries to join the domain but the system logs simply show "trying to join the domain..." and, 17 seconds later, "failed to join domain".

We have added WINS to the AD controller in case this was it.

Event logs do not show any attempt at log in on from the TeraStation.

We have tried connecting as "administrator" and as another user set up as part of the domain admins group.

Going bald here - any suggestions appreciated :cry

--------------------------------------------------------
    Good news about Vista - viruses have compatability issues as well!

2. dbfrank

dbfrank Private E-2

Did you ever get this issue resolved? Curious, as I am having the same issue. Thx

3. afstcklnd

afstcklnd Private E-2

Nah, sorry!

An I'm fed up waiting to talk to Buffalo support :(

4. bdayberry

bdayberry Private E-2

I had some of the same problems. Make sure your time settings are synced. If it's off by even a fraction, it will not join. Took me forever to get that worked out.

5. afstcklnd

afstcklnd Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion.

Saw some notes somewhere about this so I've set the time server (NTP) on the TeraStation to be the domain server and checked the time zone is OK.

Must admit it's been a porblem since DST came in to effect so I'll check again.

6. apsik

apsik Private E-2

7. CamOwen

CamOwen Private E-2

The link provided was the key for me (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Joining_Active_Directory). I did find some ambiguities in the directions provided by the link. I was able to arrive at the correct configuration, but thought these written steps might help:

1. Basic tab of TeraStation (TS):
    a. Set name
    b. Date: set time zone (for me, GMT -5.00; Enable NTP, default NTP server is fine.
    c. TS does not have a setting for DST. This is OK. During summer, TS time will appear off by precisely 1hour. This is expected, and OK.
    2. Network IP Address Properties – set fixed IP address. DNS server must be that of AD.
    3. TS must be on same network segment as AD domain controller.
    4. Create AD service account for TerraStation (Windows 2003, AD)
    a. Password cannot contain special characters
    b. Account must be member of Administrators Group
    5. DNS: create A and PTR records for the TS
    6. Create a computer account for the TerraStation (Windows 2003, AD).
    a. Computer name
    b. Do not select “Assign this computer account as a pre-Windows 2003 computer”
    c. Do not select “Assign this computer account as a backup domain controller”
    d. After computer account is created, examine properties page; Delegation tab. Select “Trust this computer for delegation to any service (Kerberos only).
    7. Now join to Active Directory on the TS: Network; Workgroup / Domain
    a. Network type: Active Directory
    b. Complete AD NetBIOS name; DNS name; DC name, TeraStation service account name and password.
    c. WINS is not required!! This will work just fine without WINS.
    d. Local user authorization settings: I selected the option “Allow” local user authorization. Not sure all the security implications with the TS, but do not want to risk loosing access to the device via its local administrator account.
    8. when done, click the Apply.

There are a number of posts that indicate that time is critical - that is true.

In my case the problem was the password of the service account. Complex passwords are required, and our convention is to use special characters. The Terastation does not work with passwords that include special characters.

8. Wurm

Wurm Private E-2

I signed up just to thank CamOwen for his short little guide.

I was just about to throw the Terastations out in the trash bin ;)

9. darkmatter661

darkmatter661 Private E-2

I've been having a really tough time trying to get this to work with a Win 2K3 SBS server.

I've added the TS to the DNS in forward (A) and reverse (PTR) zones, added an admin level username in AD and a computer with the same name as the TS with delegation. Made sure that the time was the same through NTP (with the SBS server as NTP server). Checked and they were sync'd.

In the TS, these are the settings (companynamesbs is domain name and companyname1 is server machine name):

ADDN (Netbios): companynamesbs
    ADDN (DNS/Realm name): companyname1.companynamesbs.local
    ADDC Name: companyname1
    Admin Name: tera
    Password: ******
    Wins IP: companyname1 IP address

Both TS and domain server are on the same subnet of course, DNS in the TS is the same server.

Here's what I get:

1st error (pop up): When it says it's trying to resolve the DNS name:

Successfully resolved the DNS name set as the Active Directory Domain Name, however the services necessary to join the Active Directory Domain could not be found.

Please confirm that an appropriate DNS server address has been set.
    Please check the DNS server address under Network - IP Address.

Do you wish to join the Active Directory Domain as is?

I say OK

2nd error (pop up):

Failed to resolve the Domain Controller Name set as the Active Directory Domain Controller Name.

Please check the network status to allow the computer name to be resolved.

Do you wish to continue to join the Active Directory Domain as is?

I say OK

3rd error (under Network, top of page):

Failed to join Active Directory Domain.
    Please confirm the Active Directory Domain setting information, Administrator user name and password.

I'm out of ideas!

Can anyone assist?

Thanks.

10. tekchef

tekchef Private E-2

CamOwen,

When you say "Create AD service account for TerraStation (Windows 2003, AD)
    " what are you pointing the service to since there is no software installed for the Terastation. I dont see how you are making a service for it when it stands alone. I too have the same problem of adding these devices to the A/D in a 2003 Domain. I have tried everything in your list but for #4 since i see no way to make a service for the device on the DC when there is nothing to point it to as in a EXE or service dll files them selfs. I also have the same issues as asftcklnd with all its prompts and still no go. it just will not join the domain. the time is to the minute and i get up all the dns stuff and made a host file for the ntp as well.

11. darkmatter661

darkmatter661 Private E-2

I think what CamOwen refers to is to create a service account as in a new AD account (like a user account) used just for this purpose or "service". It's not an actual 2003 service as in DNS server, etc.

I finally figured it out and the problem I was having had to do with the DNS/Realm name. I had "companyname1.companynamesbs.local".

I replaced that with just "companynamesbs.local" and it all worked fine.

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

192.168.254.1 is the IP address of COMPANYNAME1 (machine name of the 2003 SBS server)

"tera" was created just for this purpose. You should also be able to also use the 2003 server administrator account if you don't care about extra security.

The only drawback to this setup is that you can't use the FTP feature. Instead I ended up using FileZilla on the server then sharing the "Network Place" (not the share, not drive letters, as those don't work) and it works like a charm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds