Testing a new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deborahc, Mar 20, 2008.

1. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

I'm running a few tests on my first build:

Thermaltake M9 tower
    Coolmax CU-600T 600W ATX Power Supply
    ASUS M3A AMD Phenom Socket AM2+ 2000 MHz
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual Core Black Edition 2.60 GHz
    Thermalright Ultra-90-K8 CPU Cooler
    XFX - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Graphics Card
    OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Memory

What tests do you recommend to make sure I have a stable machine?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Nice PC specs BTW.

But I would make sure your current with all Windows or whatever OS your usings updates, make sure all drivers are current ones.

Then maybe run a few stress tests as in

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CPU_Hi-t_Professional_Edition_d1659.html ( for CPU )
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4935 ( for GFX Card )

then install your other software applications in small batches and monitor for a few days to allow you to easily troubleshoot if something goes wrong and you have crashes etc

Use somthing to monitor your system temps, just to make sure your not overheating, http://majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html for example

3. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

I am running XP, and have updated all the drivers. I ran the 3DMark06 tonight. Here are my numbers:
    Main test results
    3DMark Score 8542 3DMarks
    SM 2.0 Score 3934
    SM 3.0 Score 3909
    CPU Score 1976
    Test Results
    Graphics Tests
    1 - Return to Proxycon 31.17 FPS
    2 - Firefly Forest 34.4 FPS
    CPU Tests
    CPU1 - Red Valley 0.62 FPS
    CPU2 - Red Valley 1.0 FPS
    HDR Tests
    1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 47.54 FPS
    2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 30.64 FPS

...help me understand it? :confused

I do have a temp monitor that runs as well. With COD4 running full tilt, it never got over 90 degrees. Guess I did ok with the thermal paste? That was the most nerve wracking part of the build!!

4. DavidGP

Hi

You did very well if the temps on COD4 running never get over 90° and I take it thats fahrenheit and not centigrade?

Those 3Dmark numbers are ok, all they tell you are how quick your components can process framerates and throw multiple polygons aroudn the screen and those are ok, the test when run in multiple cycles is what can stress test the CPU, Memory and GFX card to see if it crashes under load, which is what you wanted in testing stability, if it can handle the test a few times then you have a pretty stable setup.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  5. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

I ran the 3DMark06 three times, and that was the best of the numbers (worst being 30 lower).

And you are correct, that was Fahrenheit. :)

6. DavidGP

Hi

Seems all good, looks like you have a nice stable and quick PC, for a first build that is superb, did you have any hitches when putting together or all went according to plan and with it being your first build where did you source information out about building it or did you just go for it, just curious.

7. deborahc

deborahc Private E-2

A guy I know builds computers, and I wanted gim to put one together for me, but cost was an issue and shipping it would send me over budget for the build, so he suggested I build it. I thought he was crazy, but decided to give it a try. He sent me a list of parts (with options to meet my needs), and I began buying a few things here and there. I had done upgrades before, but doing it all was a little intimidating. The heat sink and CPU was the worst part.. with the thermal paste, but I just took my time and did everything as my friend had instructed.. asking questions as I went to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I was a bit nervous about turning it on, but my hubby pushed me (he knew that I'd end up sitting with it together and never turned on if he didn't). There was an incident years ago with a power supply replacement.. and a little cloud of smoke when I turned it on.. which made me nervous to turn this machine on. *grin* Thankfully, I had taken my time to make sure I had all connection done correctly. We booted it up, and it's been a smooth ride ever since.

Now my hubby wants to put together a computer like this for himself. I'm looking forward to putting it together for him. I love this stuff!

8. DavidGP

Hi

Subperb and yes taking your time and especially on the CPU install is crucial. Enjoy your next build :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds