Text boxes when hovering on forum threads

Discussion in 'Software' started by frapper, Mar 12, 2009.

1. frapper

frapper Private First Class

[​IMG]

You know the little bubble text boxes that pop up when you hover over a topic on some forums (like above)? Do you know how to make that text stay up long enough to read it if it's 5 or 6 lines? Mine only stays visible for about 5 or 6 seconds. I assume it's a machine-Windows setting, most likely in the registry. Thanks. :major

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've been thinking about this as well. I use FF and used to use an addon called Long Titles which increased the amount of text displayed because of a FF bug. This bug has been fixed and the addon is no longer supported. Anyway, I was playing around with the addon to make it work in current FF to see if it would extend the time of display. It did. Unfortunately, the display is formatted vertically and is rather awkward to read. But it seems to show that the setting would be in the browser not in Windows overall.

I think it may be related to this line in the code.
    But haven't figured out how it relates to either FF or IE settings. I wouldn't mind a longer tooltip display so may investigate further. What browser do you use frapper?

4. frapper

Interesting. I never thought about it being a browser setting. Doh! I'll look at what both of you said. The browser is FF 3.0.7 (latest). I'll look at how IE7 and Opera display it. Thanks for taking a stab at it. Will report back. It'd be nice if they'd just give you a few more seconds to read so you wouldn't have to open each topic or "re-hover" with your pointer.

5. frapper

Sorry I couldn't edit. I checked IE7 and the behavior and display was the same. About 6 seconds. Opera it seemed to stay open until I moved the cursor. Much better.

The only thing I could find for FF was in about:config
    browser.chrome.toolbar_tips; true (or false) to turn it on or off. No adjustment to the display time that I could find.

I've only noticed this on 2 different vBulletin boards. So I don't know if there is a default setting on the board for tooltip display, but I kind of doubt it. I think sach2 is on the right track with a browser setting. Maybe a line that could be added into about:config? Maybe a "timeout" setting. I'll try to look more.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  7. frapper

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds