the bald look is in !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goroeder, May 13, 2004.

1. goroeder

goroeder Private E-2

i must have pulled out my last hair in frustration cuz i am bald now.
    i have a toschiba laptop. old but good.
    i am running windoze 98se cuz it only has 32mg of ram and wont hold win2k.
    anyways i have a wpc11 wireless card and am trying to connect to the internet.
    it can find my router (you are connected to the access point) but will not connect to the internet (but the internet cannot be found).
    so i searched on google and found some microsoft articles reffering to winsock configuration. i ran winipcfg and got a fatal error.
    then i continued to clear all my tci/ip stacks and edit my registry.
    i rebboted and still the damn thing defies me.
    i have no more hair to pull out.
    please help.

2. F18delta

F18delta Private E-2

Have you ever had this PC on the internet? If so, you might have some type of spyware that has caused the TCP/IP stack to become corrupted. I know you said that you checked all of this, but there is also a tool that will do it for you here

3. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

One thing I've seen with Windows 98 and 98SE is that they tend to accumulate junk that can interfere with networking. If the previous post didn't help, try this:

1. Get the drivers for your current NIC, to have on hand.
    2. Boot the PC into Safe Mode.
    3. Go into the Control Panel, Network, and look at the Configuration tab.

Sometimes, you'll see multiple instances of the same NIC. Or, if you've changed network interface cards, you'll see an old one that is no longer in the computer. If you do, then this is almost certainly your problem.

4. Remove all the network components and then restart the computer normally.

At this point, Windows should redetect the NIC, ask for drivers if it can't find them, and once provided, recreate the networking configuration. IIRC, it will install a minimal setup - Client for Microsoft Networks, the network adapter and TCP/IP... but you'll want to go back and look to be sure that what is installed suits your needs.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

dj

4. goroeder

goroeder Private E-2

i wanted to thank everyone for their help. everytime i have a problem i post on this bord and someone answers. i think it is great to have this awsome resource available. thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds