The Blue Screen "windows Is Shutting Down" Last Forever

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Jr., Jun 16, 2017.

1. John Jr.

John Jr. Private E-2

Hello,

During the last six months, my laptop has been working fine.
    Nevertheless, during this period, the following issue happened twice when I shut down the system : the blue screen "Windows is shutting down" last forever and I had to force manually the operational system to shut down.
    I scanned the windows XP pro Sp3 operational system installed on my laptop with KIS ("paranoid" setup) and MBAM and nothing was detected.
    I am suspecting a program has not been ended correctly and this probably caused the blue screen "Windows is shutting down" to last forever.

Please, I would like to ask if it exists a solution, a tool than can solve the blue screen "Windows is shutting down" lasting forever?

Do you think my operational system has been damaged when I forced manually it to shut down? If yes, does it exist a tool to fix this operational system?

Regards,

John

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@katkat ,

I don't believe the OP is having BSODs. When XP is shutting down, the screen turns blue with the words "Windows is shutting down".

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Opps sorry. Never mind John. I guess I was having flash backs of the nightmare of having blue screens back when I used XP.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You press ctrl+alt+del open Task Manager and see what processes are running for all users.
    Then you kill one that in using more than 0% and see if the computer shut down.

If that doesn't work, do it again with a different process.

If this happened since Tuesday, you need to know that MS has released some updates for XP SP3. Check you update settings because if they are turned on, the computer could be running updating in the background. That might be the holdup. (You would see a svc process using more than 0% CPU).

6. John Jr.

John Jr. Private E-2

Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Please, do you think my operational system (Win XP Pro Sp3) could have been damaged when I forced manually it to shut down?

Does it exist a multi-tool able to fix damaged Windows files, registry, etc., to defrag registry and hard drive, to clean, etc.?

Would Mechanic System be a good choice?

Regards,

John

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. Yes, a forced shut down or a sudden loss of electricity can damage the file system.

2. No idea about a multi tool. I suggest you try and fix 1 item at a time. When you run a multi fixit tool, you have no idea what changes are being made.

3. I don't know Mechanic System so no, I would not suggest you use it.
    Do you perhaps mean System Mechanic? http://www.iolo.com/products/system-mechanic/
    If so, I don't recommend that either. It is a multi-fixit tool and any programs that say they fix lots of things tend to make the problem worse.

This is safer because you are using your XP CD to repair
    http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Windows-XP-"Repair-Install"

8. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could do plodr's Repair Install.

You could also launch cmd (Command Prompt) as Administrator and type sfc /scannow in it (include the space between sfc and the forward slash) and hit Enter. It may ask you to insert your Windows XP installation CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds