"The document contains no data"

Discussion in 'Software' started by smackyomama, Nov 12, 2004.

1. smackyomama

smackyomama Private E-2

I subscribe to Webshots [www.webshots.com]. My paid subscription is current.
    When I attempt to access that URL, I'm greeted by the error [Alert?] message in the Title of this thread. The same occurs, hit or miss, when I attempt to link to other sites - there appears to be no pattern to the accesibility or inaccessibility. Frustrating, to say the least. Thoughts or suggestions, please?

Dell 8000 series
    120 hard drive
    1G ram
    XP/SP2

Both of these browsers exhibit the same symptoms:
    Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1 ""The document contains no data"
    IE 6.0 - error msg: "The page cannot be displayed"

Thanks in advance,
    Saucemeister

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Just the Webshots website, nothing else?
    The site comes up for me OK. Have you tried it today?

If you still get the same errors, I would run some Spyware removal tools like Ad-aware.

3. smackyomama

smackyomama Private E-2

Thanks for your reply!

I intended to write that I have the following:
    Ad-Aware - the $ version
    Spybot, latest edition
    AVG antivirus - free edition
    before my initial post, i ran all three scans, and no problems were found :rolleyes:

...and Webshots is not the only URL that yields that error/alert message with both browers.

...and Webshots is still fubar :(

...and random links do the same thing - I just tried several from Google's US new site [this works fine, btw]:

http://news.google.com/nwshp?gl=us&ned=us&topic=n

i'm at wit's end here - I'm this close (--) to backing up everything and starting over.

any more thoughts/suggestions before i do that unthinkable task?

thanks again -
    jim

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I would boot from Safe Mode, run your virus scans and ad-aware, spybot again.

5. smackyomama

smackyomama Private E-2

Thanks for hangin' in there with me, Sarge! Alas, I find no way to restart in safe mode with XP. The Dell folks provide this information:

To start the computer in safe mode

Click Start, click Shut Down, and then, in the drop-down list, click Shut down.

In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.

Sarge, I don't have the option to press F8. The system goes through its restart process without providing any options whatsoever, so I'm unable to follow the remaining steps below:

Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Notes

In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse, monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no network connections). You can choose the Safe Mode with Networking option, which loads all of the above files and drivers and the essential services and drivers to start networking, or you can choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option, which is exactly the same as safe mode except that a command prompt is started instead of the graphical user interface. You can also choose Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.
    Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.
    There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

End of "To start the computer in safe mode" instructions.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Backatcha, bro'

-- jim

6. smackyomama

smackyomama Private E-2

SARGE! I fixed it!

peerguardian was blocking it.

just a few of the 5k+ blocked attempts:

Connection Rejected: 206.173.193.10 - ww.webshots.com ads (11-13-2004 @ 16:20:18)
    Connection Rejected: 206.173.193.10 - ww.webshots.com ads (11-13-2004 @ 16:20:18)

...i excluded that IP address from their blocked list, and webshots now works.

i removed PGuardian from Startup list, now everything should work as it should. Happy days are here again - didn't have to scrub the hard drive. God is good :D

thanks for all your time and effort!

7. kam14

kam14 Private E-2

Hello
    I am having the same problem...I looked in the internet options menu and found where the sites were blocked...but the list was empty, therefore I could not unblock anything. I am not sure how to check if I have another program that blocks these sites. I am also having trouble accessing my college's secure site(other people can access it), and community.webshots.com, most notably. These seem to be the only two sites that don't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds