The Fan On My Video Card Died & I Just Noticed... Could That Have Caused Damage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Aug 11, 2009.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I have an acrylic pc case so you can see the entire insides at all angles. I usually take a look inside every week or so to see that all fans are running smoothly. I took a look yesterday and seen that the fan on my video card was dead!!! I quickly replaced it with a spare I had... This is an old pc with a P3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz processor. The video card is a Radeon 9550 with a 40mm fan on the gpu. I just recently put Artic Silver on the gpu fan heatsink a month ago, because I had the spare time and knew the thermal compound that Radeon used was probably cheap. So my question is:

Could the fan being dead for a week or so have caused any heat damage to my video card?

Just so you know I didn't run any video games since I last saw the fan working, though I have watched movies! Being that I just put Artic Silver on the gpu recently should have helped transfer some of the heat to the heatsink while the fan was dead no?

2. howiefix

howiefix Private E-2

I would say, if the card still works it will keep working. You did well spotting the bad fan. I work on a lot of PC's and find dead fans all the time. You might of had a breeze from a psu, cpu or case fan that keep the card cool .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds