The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively

Discussion in 'Software' started by dboiler, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

I have a laptop with XP Pro.

My system ran a windows update last night and when I started work this morning I kept getting the message that it needed to restart and I kept clicking restart later. This was annoying so I finally restarted my computer.

Now I cannot logon to my local desktop. I keep getting the message "the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively". I can, however, logon to my companies domain just fine with admin privileges so I can get to control panel, cmd prompt, etc.

Ideas what went wrong? What to do to fix?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

3. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Great! Just wonderful! Flippin Microsoft. Thanks for the info but I'm still not sure what to do at this point. Now I have to get another "I told you so" from my Mac friend.

Dave

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Well. One in 30 infections will happen on a Microsoft update date. Something tampered with the group policy settings. Malware? You need to run a few full scans...

5. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Running Malwarebytes right now. Thanks

Dave

6. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

I ran Malwarebyte (with the current version) and my virus scan and neither found anything. I could really use some help with this as I need to log into my desktop.

Dave

7. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Go into CP and then go into Administrator Tools ... I cant remember what it is in XP but in vista its Security Policies ... find something like that ... then in Local Policies and User Rights Assignment check that your username is under Allow Log On Locally and check that it is not under Deny Log On Locally ... if that still doesnt work ... open the User Rights Assignment tab, save the list and post it :)

8. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Thank you Drizzles. That did it. In XP it's Local Security Policy but my login name was in the Deny Log On Locally and I simply removed it and all is well.

Thanks very much.

Dave

9. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

no problem :)

10. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

You know, upon second thought, I really can't think what could have caused this, other than some malware or an MS bug ... to be on the safe side, it probably best off to run a Virus scan and another MBAM scan plus an SAS scan

11. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Will do. The problem occurred after I restarted the machine from an automatic Windows update early yesterday, 16th, morning.

Dave

12. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Yer, its probably just a bug ... but better safe than sorry hey!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds