The Microsoft JVM Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Mar 8, 2004.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

MSJVM Removal Tool 1.0 [Date Published:
    3/6/2004]

The Microsoft JVM Removal Tool can be used to remove the MS Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM). Use of this tool is the only supported method for removing the MSJVM from a Microsoft operating system.
    http://snipurl.com/4xla

1 person likes this.
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Bookmarked!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Because its old and crusty.

Sun Java is far more updated.

There are sometimes problems when the MS JVM breaks and there is no way to fix it usually. People, like me anway, don't want any broken software on their machines.

4. NICK ADSL UK

Thank you Adrynalyne For replying to MaXimus query. The sun java is much more polished and can be found here :)
    http://www.java.com:80/en/download/manual.jsp

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Java.sun.com, look for java vm.

Edit Nick beat me to it and one upped me on the link :D

Coffee cup icon or not, every application, MS JVM or Sun, takes resources. A little icon in your notification area means little to nothing in regards to that.

6. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Ok I've done all that and deleted MSJVM.
    I already have Sun java.
    I just forgot to ask how to intergrate it with my browser.
    Help :)

7. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Vonnie
    All you have to do is go to the control panel and click open the java plug in and then tick the boxes for the browsers that you have

8. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I knew it had to be something simple like that :D

9. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

You don't have to leave the icon in the systray, either. Use it to open the controls and turn off the icon. You don't need it. I haven't seen it since five minutes after the first Sun Java install.
    Blue, you say? Clashes with my green colour scheme, then.
    ---Martha Stewart

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  10. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

For some reason Sun works with my Netscape but not my IE :(
    I set it in control panel and rebooted even. But its not a prob, I will just use netscape :)

11. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Vonnie
    It will kick in if you play around with it try just loading IE first then reboot then tick Netscape and reboot

12. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Are there still some sites that only use MSJVM?
    When I go to one site that use java Usint IE, I get this message:[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There shouldn't be...

14. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

15. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Tried the link and still cant get that site.
    Oh well I think my IE is broke anyhow lol
    Will just use Netscape for now.
    Thanks

16. NonSuch

NonSuch Private E-2

It might be a good idea to check IE's Internet Options. Click on the "Advanced" tab and scroll down until you see the Java coffee cup. Make sure there's a check mark in the box next to it. Then take a look right below for Microsoft VM. Make sure there are no check marks in any of the three boxes there.

It's worth a look.

17. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

That has been done.

18. specialgreen

specialgreen Private E-2

Under Win2k(SP5), I had a similar problem after using the MSJVM Removal tool, then installing Sun Java: applets (such as Sun's test page) worked in Firefox, but IE only presented a dialog box saying that no JavaVM was installed, and asking if I'd like to download on demand.

I checked the "usual suspects": Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Use Java , and Tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom/Scripting/Scripting of Java/Enable. They were both set correctly.

I reinstalled Sun's VM a couple of times; tried uninstalling it and reinstalling, all with no improvement.
    Finally I followed the manual instructions for MS JVM removal:
    -(first deleted Sun's Java using Add/Remove Software)
    -run cmd "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall" (this gave errors; it appeared that this had already been removed by MSJVM Remove tool).
    -Deleted the WINNT/java folder (it was still there).
    -Deleted the WINNT/inf/java.pnf folder (it was still there).
    %systemroot%/system32/jview.exe and wjview.exe were already gone.
    The two registry keys (Microsoft/Java VM and Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Advanced Options/JAVA_VM) were already gone.
    -After this, I reinstalled Sun's Java; then applets under IE started working immediately.

It seems to me that after running the MSJVM removal tool, the only extra step which the "manual approach" really did was deleting the %system%/java and %system%/inf/java.pnf folders. I have read some references to JVMClean (http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp) as an alternative to MSJVM Removal Tool, which is reported by many to leave a state where IE will not use Sun's Java.

Am I the only person here to have trouble with the MSJVM Removal Tool and IE+SunJava?

One admission: I did not run the Java control panel, to verify that IE was selected as an "installed browser".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds