The new photography thread -any subject - don't be shy!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kestrel13!, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Don't these weaver nests look eery?
    The picture was taken en route to a small town.

Weavers.jpg

And this is what the outdoor area of the restaurant in the town looks like.

Restaurant_1.jpg
    Restaurant_2.jpg

mag00, DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Yes they do look a bit eerie I guess.... suspending there like that. Saw something similar in Sri Lanka. Restaurant looks lovely.

3. Eldon

If you look quickly, they look a bit like skulls! There were at least 50 in 2 big trees growing about 5-6 metres apart.
    The restaurant's outdoor area is the best I have seen. The 2 pictures came out great even though they were taken with a 2 MP smartphone camera. And I resized them.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  4. Kestrel13!

Ahhh I see what you mean... very skull like. Google image 'snap dragon seeds' that's bizarre, too!
    Agreed, the quality of those shots are very good, looks like the lighting was spot on.

Eldon likes this.
  5. Kestrel13!

One from my short walk around this afternoon.

Little Wren posing on the rubbish heap at the local cemetery. I always fear what could be lost as the gardeners set fire to it all, as it's nesting season now... or very soon.

The light was fading and my camera struggles in those conditions, grabbed what I was given. :)

[​IMG]

6. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I was out by my trash heap and a whole flock of friendly wrens came to visit. One guy came all the way from the UK!
    (Can't help playing sometimes. I messed with your photo. Hope that's OK. Of course there are MANY different ways to flavor a shot...)

xeg3du copy2 .jpg

DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  7. Kestrel13!

[​IMG]

Eldon likes this.
  8. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

bees poppy.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  9. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

bees g002092e.jpg

mag00, Eldon and Kestrel13! like this.
  10. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

7763 my adj.jpg

DavidGP, Eldon and Kestrel13! like this.
  11. Kestrel13!

I have a shot just like that last one you attached. I'll attach mine tomorrow! Do you live in the UK, drcarl? They are ALL excellent images.

12. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I'm near Seattle Washington, and thanks. Wait 'till you see my NEXT one! You're going to LOVE it. I shot it just for you (and anyone else heere who might appreciate it)

Kestrel13! likes this.
  13. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

It suddenly dawned on me - like, where I am - what subject might be liked. So, here is a shot of an alien visitor. Ever since they came, my "sleep" function no longer worked. I noticed one time they were not here and my sleep DID work. I guess it may have been a coincidence. At first I noticed them in the morning when I turn on my computer. Now it's every time I turn it on - they visit. Almost ghost-like, they have been flashing these lights when they arrive. Maybe it's some kind of signal? Maybe they are trying to communicate? The craft is marked with 'Gigabyte X58A-UD3R'. The lights which glow steadily (they don't really flash) during startup have some kind of etching that I think reads DDR Voltage Off: normal, L1: Level 1 (Slight, green), L2: Level 2 (Moderate, yellow), L3: Level 3 (High, red). Other etchings say: DDR Phase LED - The number of lighted LEDs indicates the memory loading. The higher the memory loading, the more number of lighted LEDs. I have no idea what that means. And, to further complicate things, the master book of etchings have the same illustration for the NB (north bridge?). Are etchings ever wrong? I wish I knew if this was something to do with DDR or NB, and if there is any significance. Meanwhile, I adjusted the aspect ratio of this image to 16:9 for a nice Wallpaper. Hope you like it.

20160216_161216-copy.png

Kestrel13! likes this.
  14. Kestrel13!

It's all Chinese Mandarin to me :D

Bee on Comfrey as promised....

[​IMG]

Aquilegea... this grows wild up at the local graveyard.

[​IMG]

Eldon likes this.
  15. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Oh, yeah? I'll "see" your Aquilegia, and "raise you" a Western Columbine. lol.

7532 all.jpg

Kestrel13! and Eldon like this.
  16. Eldon

Clivia.
    Clivia.jpg

Rabbit's Foot.
    Rabbit's Foot.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  17. Kestrel13!

Ha ha VERY good!! :D

See if you can match this:

[​IMG]

drcarl likes this.
  18. Kestrel13!

Oooh I am loving that Clivia, Eldon! So pretty!

Eldon likes this.
  19. Eldon

That one came out really good. All 2 MP of it!

Old 'bird' preparing to feed wild bird. :D

Old Bird.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  20. Kestrel13!

This is that lovely friendly Wagtail isn't it?? Absolutely wonderful that it trusts so much to go into the house. Great shot too!!

I used to have Robins come into my house a long time ago, used to leave a pot of magots for them on the arm of my sofa.

21. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Some kind of Pacific Northwest (US) fern holding hands with a Japanese Maple.

00 IMG_3800 copy.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  22. Kestrel13!

Well that is stunning........ !!! Love the details of the droplets on the leaves....

23. Eldon

She is so comfortable coming into the house.
    Here is 'microwave wagtail'. :eek:
    Do notice her 2 missing hind toes. But she has raised about 10 chicks. And she doesn't allow them into the house! She is one of a kind.

Microwave Wagtail.jpg

mag00, Kestrel13! and drcarl like this.
  24. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Here is for detail. The star happened naturally without photoshop. I only grow roses that have a mind-blowing fragrance. This is a Liebeszauber (Hybrid Tea; aka: Loves Magic, Crimson Spire)

[​IMG]

Kestrel13! and Eldon like this.
  25. Kestrel13!

Eldon, that is wonderful, I do remember seeing her picture before, a different one and remember you said about her toes. How long has she been around now? Visiting you?

@ drcarl.... dang that is spot on that is, a perfect shot, and I mean that. The 'star' lens flare effect in the droplet there is amazing.... the other droplets are too, such detail here..wow. I love the light and shade and the background is gorgeous.... I applaud you.

26. Kestrel13!

Sunset thru the old Beech Tree

[​IMG]

DavidGP and Eldon like this.
  27. Kestrel13!

Sunset thru the Ferris Wheel

[​IMG]

mag00 and DavidGP like this.
  28. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Who? Who? Who?
    Barred Owl

[​IMG]

DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  29. Kestrel13!

I'm afraid I don't have any shots of owls, captive or otherwise....

30. Kestrel13!

Managed to get out and about for an hour or so today, I ended up at the local cemetery again. You can travel miles and not see as much as you do here on my local patch.

Male Blackbird soaked in sunlight...

[​IMG]

mag00 likes this.
  31. Eldon

It's been 4 years.
    Please tell me that star in the centre is not a Photoshop!

Kestrel13! likes this.
  32. Kestrel13!

Wow... a long time friend then! :)

No, Eldon, it's a sun flare :) You like it?

Eldon likes this.
  33. Kestrel13!

Incidentally, how do you 'quote' a picture?

34. Eldon

It's amazing!
    Your photos are so great.
    You must enter them in every competition you can find.
    Go for it. :)

Kestrel13! likes this.
  35. Kestrel13!

I have tried a couple, but never got anywhere lol
    Thankyou so much for your lovely compliments, that means alot! :)

36. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Missing/damaged toes are not uncommon with our urban Pied Wagtails in the UK. Outside of the breeding season they flock together before heading off to a communal roost, these are sometimes in the heating ducts/exhausts of factories/hospitals, etc. and I'm reasonably sure that's where this damage is mostly caused.

37. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

This is from a trip, many moons ago...

Attached Files:

Kestrel13! likes this.
  38. Eldon

When you click 'Reply', everything in the post will be quoted.
    Pointing on the images in your posts #176 & #177, you'll see a popup "Click this image to show the full-size version." Then a thumbnail will be quoted. Otherwise, the full image will be quoted.
    'My' Cape Wagtail had a pea-sized growth on the foot. It eventually fell off but took 2 toes with it.

39. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ouch! An infection then, can't say I've noticed any lumps on the feet of any wild bird here, heads, faces, mouths yes.

40. Kestrel13!

Thanks Eldon. Well Chaffinches are quite popular for fungal infections on the feet... I'll try post a shot later.

41. Eldon

You must enter this picture in a competition.
    Forget about local, go for a national (or international) competition. And be prepared... there will be Photoshop remarks/comments. Keep the file on your camera's memory card and do make at least 2 backups on different media/devices. The judges do have ways and means to determine that the photo is an original.
    Go for it!

Kestrel13! likes this.
  42. Kestrel13!

How would I go about finding a competition Eldon? Really do appreciate your lovely comments! Thanks :D

43. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Kes-- I did a google for 'find photo contest'. Many results. Looked at one that was a list of contests. Some of the links were good , some didn't connect. Some required an entry fee and some do not. I noticed Smithsonian and National Geographic had no fee. Also saw other results from certain camera manufacturers had their own competitions.Also seems some results I got may be due to location info as I had to sort through to find UK or other area sites. Other sites/ magazines may have their own contest maybe like "Nature" mag or "Outdoor Life" mag or site. Probably many possibilties.

Also saw a couple blogs about good / bad completion reviews as far as cost or limited returns and such. So investigate.

Your photos are great and Eldon is right. You should look into it even if casually. You never know where it could go!

You may remember earlier in another thread I asked permission from all about using the posted photos for jigsaw puzzles. One day I may have a popular or 'famous' puzzle.

Go get 'em!

Eldon and Kestrel13! like this.
  44. Kestrel13!

Thanks Imandy Mann!! I shall have to have a little invstigate, see what turns up. :)
    I remember you asking for pictures for jigsaws, yes!

45. Kestrel13!

Been out and about again today, only up to the local cemetery which is not far away from me. Low light today, so I battled a bit.

[​IMG]

Eldon and Imandy Mann like this.
  46. Kestrel13!

Converted an image I wasn't happy with into monochrome...

[​IMG]

47. Kestrel13!

Sorry, hope I'm not overloading you guys and gals... one more from today... Crocus growing in the graveyard....

[​IMG]

DavidGP likes this.
  48. Imandy Mann

Nice shot of the squirrel. I notice it's missing a front limb. Do you see it regularly. I have seen other animals in the same condition and usually they seem not to be bothered. Had a pup one time it's mama was missing a front limb all the way back yet she would run with the pups chasing her all day. Very spirited.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  49. Kestrel13!

Ahh, no, Imandy Mann, it wasn't missing a limb, they just often stand like this for some reason... I often caption the shot with "Who...? Me?!" :D

Imandy Mann likes this.
  50. Imandy Mann

Sure does hide that arm pretty good!

Kestrel13! likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds