The new photography thread -any subject - don't be shy!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kestrel13!, Jul 20, 2015.

1. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Benches At Dusk

[​IMG]

outdoorgal and Kestrel13! like this.
  2. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

DavidGP, Eldon, dr.moriarty and 2 others like this.
  3. dr.moriarty

Title: Just one more...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Wow, that looks 'busy', plenty of scope for getting up close and personal with some macro or tightly cropped tele/zoom shots.

How does it look in the wider landscape though, very incongruous or... ?

What's the odds on it being owned by a teetotaller/abstainer - no guard rail/fencing on the porch ;)

Call out the owner to pose next time you're passing, I'm sure that would make a better photo.

5. dr.moriarty

That subject being sooo busy was what had me returning to the locale waiting for the best light. I will be going back to get some close-ups, as this can become a photo project, separating the gnomes from the Angels. ;) I didn't want the bordering houses included in a wide-angle shot and I'll try for a better time to be kneeling a couple of feet out in the street making pictures... maybe go for some diagonals at the sidewalk's edge.:p In the meantime, I'll see how grainy/noisey a blow-up of my original becomes.

DSC_0247_pe.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Kestrel13! likes this.
  6. satrow

Yes, get a blowup and pencil in some likely frames/angles for your next shoot there, take a Thermos, some snacks and a camping chair, it might be a long shoot :D

Okay, I really like the shapes there now, great effects from the mix of artificial and natural lighting, a better morning/evening might illuminate that scene like it's on fire! Maybe a cormorant needed close to shore for added interest, give it a little more depth ;) ?

dr.moriarty likes this.
  7. dr.moriarty

Maybe with 20% chance of rain Tuesday I'll get some more colorful lighting. No chance of any wildlife pausing to be included in the foreground... I seem to notice the frames in this image more.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  8. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

This makes me wonder if other people just add to the collection in the middle of the night.;) Seriously that is a lot of stuff!:eek:

Kestrel13! and dr.moriarty like this.
  9. satrow

How about an inflatable penguin, a short line and a little anchor ;) ?

There you go - the AAAWW factor and some humour, too!

dr.moriarty likes this.
  10. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

One of my latest.

[​IMG]

outdoorgal, DavidGP, katkat and 4 others like this.
  11. Imandy Mann

Where'd you get that? He's got my eyebrows!

Kestrel13! likes this.
  12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Nice path photos dr.moriarty. :) Since you are getting dusk, the one thing you might do is adjust your settings to manual, make sure your ISO is down to 200 or 400, stop down to f16 or how ever high a number your fstop goes, and adjust your shutter speed accordingly. Of course you'll need a tripod for this.

You'll wind up with stars on your lamp posts that can give the photo a great look. You can also make the photo a bit darker that way so it shows the dusk.

It can give you an affect like this (image I found online) with the lights and the exposure: https://static.bhphotovideo.com/exp...les/top_shot/public/Star-TS.jpg?itok=rinfYvPp

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Don and Imandy, awesome pics and thanks for posting!

Emma, that pic is epic, really if you have not setup a free website and start showing and selling these, that last pic is one to send in to a competition, you can see the life experiences and toll life has taken on him in his eyes... they are tired eyes (i'm a freak like this as I can tell things from eyes at times)

14. LauraR

Here are some Fall shots I just took a week or so ago.

upload_2016-11-12_8-39-46.jpeg

upload_2016-11-12_8-40-25.jpeg

upload_2016-11-12_8-40-46.jpeg

15. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

She won 'newby' of the month with that one! :cool:
    I know... I have a Facebook account. :eek:

Kestrel13!, katkat and DavidGP like this.
  16. DavidGP

Well deserved Eldon I think.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  17. Eldon

Definitely!
    Her pictures are so varied and second to none.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  18. DavidGP

Yes a talent she has that's natural and that is rare to see life and surroundings in a new light, especially in design and photography.
    I would Emma suggest you also do pics of food as never know who may see them, can be good work in photo food advertising, open if not a twitter account also and post pics and even tag in some supermarkets as I know they listen, I tagged in Aldi over their #kevinthecarrot advert as its great and got funny reply.

Kestrel13! and Eldon like this.
  19. Imandy Mann

1115160640-00 Jimmy John's finish.jpg 1102161519-01 Jimmy John's.jpg What a difference 2 weeks time can make. The metal pipe is my work

Kestrel13! and Eldon like this.
  20. DavidGP

21. Eldon

This is an Arum or Calla Lily in my garden.
    Zantedeschia aethiopica
    Arum Lily_white.jpg

And here's a Golden Arum or Calla Lily in my neighbour's garden.
    Zantedeschia elliottiana
    Arum Lily_yellow.jpg

22. LauraR

Beautiful flowers and photos, Eldon. :)

Eldon likes this.
  23. Eldon

This is a 1985 Honda Ballade 130 used everyday.
    Of course it's driven by a lady... in her early seventies.

Honda Ballade 130.jpg

DavidGP likes this.
  24. Imandy Mann

front yard 2.jpg

front yard 1.jpg

One of the reasons I like November/December - all the fruit comes in after watching all year! Don't know how the sun streaks showed in one almost same shot. This tree in the front yard.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  25. isac

isac Private E-2

[​IMG]beautiful is it not:eek:

DavidGP, katkat, Imandy Mann and 3 others like this.
  26. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Just found this thread
    Some superb pictures in here and some talented togs
    A couple from me. North Yorkshire Moors UJ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Eldon

Has anyone seen such a 'flower'? It's 5 feet tall.

crop.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  28. Kestrel13!

Have not looked in here for ages. Firstly Laura, those are gorgeous images!! Especially the first one, the monochrome of the trees. Absolute beauty.
    Thanks guys for your compliments on my photography, so very kind of you to say. :)
    How lovely to see others posting here too besides us usual suspects.
    Eldon, thatflower is from a palm, yes?

LauraR likes this.
  29. Kestrel13!

Just for you, David! LOL

[​IMG]

DavidGP and Eldon like this.
  30. Eldon

No. It looks like an Agave but I can't find it - used Google Image Search and it was identified as... plant! o_O

Kestrel13! likes this.
  31. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hey Eldon we have plants over here that are called Cordylines and there are dozens of different types but there is not much info on some of the more unusual varieties. My grandma had a Cordyline very similar to your picture and similar colour and it took 10 years to flower for the first time. Don't know what the genus of my grandma's one was but this picture of a Cordyline Australis Yucca has almost the same leaves although the flowers on my grandma's one was very tall, they were much thinner and were coloured from dark pink to dark red.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some of the varieties have red leaves and some have variegated leaves and although they are classed as a grass, many of them look like trees or shrubs. Over here in the 1980s, japanese pebble gardens were very popular and Cordylines were often used because of their sharp and contrasting symmetrical foliage that comes in varying shades of greens, greys and reds. They are very hardy plants that can take a full sun position and they don't drop their leaves so in a japanese pebble garden the pebbles underneath stay gleaming white or shiny black.
    Cheers
    joffa :cool:

Eldon, DavidGP, katkat and 1 other person like this.
  32. Eldon

Thanks joffa.
    The flowers in your image look much like the flowers in the Yucca I had. I had to take it down because it was planted to close to a garage and it was ginormous. I spent an hour looking at Agave plants on the internet and I can't find this one.
    I'll search for Cordylines.
    Here's another picture.

crop2.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  33. satrow

34. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Yep my grandma's had much less flowers and they were quite sparse but quite tall. I couldn't find a picture exactly the same and this was the closest and the leaves in that picture were almost identical.

That flower bud in your picture looks almost the same as the one my grandma had in her front yard.
    The leaves on my grandma's looked about the same width and had the same centre rib but the leaves on hers were a bit thinner at the edges ;)

35. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

I would add some of my creations at work, but because my computer was attacked by a ransomware, I'm scared to upload anything. I work at a Kroger Grocery store in the floral department, I get to make my own designs on the arrangements, making the euro-gardens, and making the snack packs. It is so much fun.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  36. Kestrel13!

Hi CaMidltn, your job sounds wonderful! Would be awesome to see some photo's of your work. :) You should be fine uploading, where do you normally upload to, flickr, photobucket for eg?

boys - Aloe is a succulent and that plant looks nothing like a succulent to me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Eldon likes this.
  37. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

20160728_105407.jpeg 20160731_144500.jpeg 20160728_105454.jpeg 20160728_105346.jpeg 20160731_140415.jpeg I was able to get these pictures back from the ransomware. I have so much more. Thinking about making a digital portfolio with all the pictures of my arrangements that I have made since July of this year. The one on the floor was for a funeral of a co-worker's wife. He loved it. Said she would have enjoyed the flowers. Figured to use the thumbnails to save room

DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  38. Kestrel13!

Beautiful arrangements, CaMidltn!

CaMidltn likes this.
  39. DavidGP

Just took this now of a Christmas door hanger as my mum wanted a lockscreen pic for her phone thats xmassy!

Not from pro camera just my WP10 950, the Carl Zeiss lens and photo soft works well for a phone

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    LauraR, CaMidltn, Eldon and 1 other person like this.
  40. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

These were made Thursday. They are candy Christmas baskets and the sleigh is a fruit basket.

I get to make them as I want. There is not a set design for arrangements like at some places. And since I have started working there they said our sales has increased steadily. Makes me feel really good. I love my job and enjoy working with people. Both customers and co-workers.

Attached Files:

DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  41. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

I clicked the wrong fruit basket....lol

I made 8 in 2 days. I take a picture of everything I make. Gives me an extensive a ray of choices to give customers.

Attached Files:

Kestrel13! likes this.
  42. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

I love the shotgun. I used a 20-gauge to kill my first deer with when I was almost 16 years old. Here in Arkansas, you have to be 16 years old before you have to by law buy a hunting license. I was a month to the day from being 16. My dad was proud of me. I lost my dad December 13, 2013 and I cherish all my lessons and memories from all of his teachings when I was little until the day he passed away. Beautiful gun.

Eldon likes this.
  43. DavidGP

Those are neat, are if they help sales then good stuff, you likely have many events yearly to create similar gifts, easter, halloween etc

44. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

yes. My Manager's give me free reign in designing something that will increase our sales. So I use a lot of imagination. It works too.

Thank you all for the likes and for allowing me to be a part of this group. Gives me something to do when I am awake and not working. I get sometimes when I am stressed, insomnia and it drives me crazy.

DavidGP likes this.
  45. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

This is adorable...I really like that.

46. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Hello all, hope everyone is doing good. Thought I would share the latest creations at the Kroger in Little Rock, Arkansas. We are trying to get ready for Christmas. Many different Ideas are floating in my brain and tomorrow I will get to put them into action. I made 18 different arrangements yesterday. And I am sure that since a lot of companies are starting to have their Christmas parties, more arrangements will need to be made. And I will most definitely post them. Everyone have a great day/night which ever it is for you.

Enjoy the beauty. I used Baby's Breath on some of these. Like the dozen and half dozen arrangements. Makes them prettier.

20161218_120755.jpg I made all of these yesterday (12/18) This Santa turned out really cute it has Red Carnations, White Daisy Mums, Green Football Mum, and Red Alstroemeria
    20161218_125229.jpg This was a snowman vase with 1/2 dozen of Red Roses
    20161218_152326.jpg This is a small center piece that had a little clear plate with White Spider Mums, Red Carnations, Red Berries, White Football Mum, and White Chrysanthemums
    20161218_170039.jpg This was a dozen Yellow Roses with a Yellow Oriental Lilly
    20161218_185030.jpg I decided to go with the simple dozen Yellow Roses. Nothing specially added.

DavidGP likes this.
  47. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Eldon, I sent a picture of this to the National Gardening Association, and asked them what it is....Maybe they will be able to tell me so I can relay it to you.

Just wanted to let you know. Have a great day.

48. Eldon

Thank you! :)
    If you could inform them it grows in the Little Karoo, South Africa it will surely help.
    Much appreciated!

49. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Eldon, there are several different opinions of what this plant is. Some say it's yucca, some say it is a form of aloe, some say it is Mexican Lilly. But of course they are all using the scientific classification names for the plants.

Here is a link, please go and check it out. You know more about what the plant looks like up close.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...ved=0ahUKEwjo3OKViIXRAhVXcFAKHdJ7CEIQ_AUIBigB

50. Eldon

Thank you CaMidltn.
    It's almost certainly a Mexican Lily (Beschorneria yuccoides) and is related to the Yuccas & Agaves.
    This particular plant grows in a relatively hot and dry area.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds