the RPC server is unavailable, cannot get to home screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xsorrelx, Sep 23, 2014.

1. xsorrelx

xsorrelx Private E-2

Hi all

My son has a 2nd hand stand alone pc with windows 7 and came to switch on today but had the message 'the RPC server is unavailable' it won't log onto the home screen, and flashed up some motherboard message.

He has got up the 'Option ROM utility' screen 1 View Drive Assignments, 2 Ddfine LD, 3 Define LD and 4 Controller Configuration. I am not sure how to solve this. We have about a week left on a 6 month warranty but I was wondeirng if this is easily fixed or a trip back to the shop where we bought it?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Solution 1:
    a. Start the computer using Windows DVD to boot to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and select command prompt.
    b. Type net start RpcSs and hit enter.
    c. Type exit to close the command prompt.
    d. Restart the computer to see if that fixed it.

Solution 2:
    a. Start the computer using Windows DVD to boot to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and select command prompt.
    b. On the command prompt, type regedit.exe and hit enter.
    c. Look for the following entries:
    1) Entry for Remote Procedure Call (RPC): Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcSs
    2) Entry for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcLocator

Important: Set REG_DWORD value to 2 for automatic start on RpcSs Set REG_DWORD value to 3 for manual start on RPCLocator

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, plodr,

I came across the same info you did but didn't post it because looking through the info, several people didn't have the RPC Locator Reg Key and this wasn't addressed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds