The story of a 9800 Pro who hated its owner...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kibble, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Kibble

Kibble Private First Class

Hey all,

Ok, i'll make this as informative as I can, so hopefully this problem makes sense. Anyway, I just assembled my new computer, and its working no problemo. I have...

1 Gigabyte DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    Athlon XP 3200+ Processor
    80GB Maxtor
    Asus KT600 mobo
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128

Anyway, basically.... everything is fine except one little display issue. I only have one monitor, but it always displays as 2 under my Display Tab, which is reached from the desktop. Now normally that wouldn't be that bad, but the thing is, the card it picks up as a Secondary has all the resolutions, but every time i make the Secondary display thing the Primary, it automatically swaps out when i press apply, like it won't let my 'second monitor', with all the resolutions on it, be the one that is used.

I don't think this affects my card in a gaming/heavy work situation, but I know that my primary monitor is in control, which is almost always because I don't know how to make the secondary one my primary.

As I've said, it shows that the Radeon 9800 is there, but my Primary setting has 3 res choices, while monitor 2 has about 20. I've tried to disable the first one in Device manager, but to no avail. It just redetects the 'first monitor' (remember, i only have 1) and I'm asked to install drivesr for it.

I have the latest official ATI drivers installed on both instances, but for some reason, the Primary setting is crappier than the Secondary, which is virtually forbidden to me.

If that made any sense to anyone, here are some pictures of what i mean.

Display1.jpg is a screenshot of the first monitor, while Display2.jpg is the second.

Thanks for any help, I'd love to fix this little problem. To me, I have no idea what is stopping me from making my Secondary turn to my primary, and to delete the primary, but I don't know how to go about that other than device manager, which doesn't work for whatever reason.

--Kibble

Attached Files:

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

It is not an error or problem.

The secondary display is for a 2nd monitor. When & if you install one those settings that are being displayed will change to what that monitor can handle.

If you want better resolutions with your primary monitor you might have to upgrade it.

3. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

Yes, your monitor (IBM aptiva 2124) is a monitor that only supports up to 1024x768

4. Kibble

Kibble Private First Class

Ohhhhh ok. I gotcha now. Thanks guys. Yeah this monitor is a peice... 15" is just so craptastic.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up guys!

--Kibble

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds