the system cannot find file specified

Discussion in 'Software' started by WEEPEE, Jan 22, 2011.

1. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

I believe a setting somewhere in My Explorer has changed. I go to an obits site regularly to get death notices for my family tree program. I used to be able to right click the picture which is often included with the text and save to my drive. It no longer allows me to do that reporting "the system can not find file specified". Yet on my laptop there is no problem. Running XP on both systems. It's a pain to one and then transfer to the other system.

Done some google searching but not much success and some of the advice is scary, getting into regedit.

TIA

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, WEEPEE.

I'm assuming you are using Internet Explorer (what version, by the way?), so try running IE with no add-ons, see if your symptoms change. If so, then you may be able to disable any add-ons selectively to find the culprit.

If it's not IE, then have you recently installed or removed any software? Some programs change file associations or paths when installed or improperly uninstalled.

3. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

Yes IE ver 7. Had installed some programs which I've removed. Also disabled all add-ons. Not improvement. :(

4. Caliban

Do you have a Windows XP disk?

5. Caliban

One other thing you might check real quick: is Content Adviser enabled (Internet Options > Content > Content Adviser)? If so, try disabling it.

6. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

From what I can tell it seems it's already off.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you select Copy from the right-click menu and then try to paste the image to the desktop? Do you get the same error?

8. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

There is a Copy drop down but when I go toDesktop there is no Paste.

9. Caliban

After copying the image, try clicking on an empty portion of the desktop and pressing Ctrl+V.

10. sach2

Also to rule out it being a problem with just that website and your PC try going to Bing.com then clicking images on the left and right-clicking any image and try to save it as you normally would. Do yo get the "can't find file specified" error?

11. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

Interesting. Bing.com images work fine. Also I do have the XP disc.

12. Caliban

That is interesting. You might try dumping your temporary internet files cache, even downloading and running CCleaner to scrub any index.dat files, then see if your symptoms change.

I asked about the XP disk because I was leaning towards a System File Check, but it looks like this might be an issue with that particular website instead.

13. sach2

I agree with Caliban. Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files either in IE>Tools>Internet Options or in CCleaner. That should be the fix.

One other thought (if clearing the internet cache doesn't work) is that most Bing images on the front page are .jpg files. Are the images you are trying to save from the Obit site .jpg as well?

14. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

I ran CCleaner yesterday. The files are JPG.

15. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

One other thing I just noticed the laptop is running IE 6 whereas the desktop is IE 7. I don't recall when I upgraded to version 7 but I thought it always worked until very recently. I've neglected the famil tree prject for several months so perhaps this is the change that has taken place??

I clicked on the help field when the warning message comes up and it reports that \windows\system32\mshtml.hlp file cannot be found. I've done a search on both machines. It doesn't exist on either, yet it works fine on the laptop (running ver 6).

16. sach2

Hmmm, just to be sure you let CCleaner delete IE Temporary Internet Files?

I'm not that familiar with IE but I will look around and see if I find anything relevant. The jpg files from Bing were saved to the same folder that you are trying to save the obit jpgs?

Also, try creating a new folder on your desktop and then doing the right-click copy the image over at the obit site. Open the new folder and try and paste the image to the new folder.

17. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.

I did a check at work where they run XP Pro and IE 7. Surprisingly I found exactly the same thing as what I have here. So now I'm thinking it's something to do with IE7 since it's the only thing different of the three systems. The laptop runs IE6 which this desktop was too until fairly recently. I don't know how difficult it would be to change back to IE6 on the desktop just to prove a point if nothing else.

18. WEEPEE

WEEPEE Private E-2

Solution:

Got brave and uninstalled IE7. Gone back to IE6 and it's working fine. So somewhere there must be a bug between IE6 and the site I'm going to.

19. Caliban

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the feedback. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds