The XP SP2 CD can now be ordered from MS

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Thanks mate!

*ordered* :D

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

KOOL
    I Thank you, TOO!

4. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

4-6 WEEKS?????
    Ordered.

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Alright - here's the dumb questions for the day (but there's no such thing as a dumb question). :cool:

Any "patches", tweaks, fixes -- whatever you want to call them -- that need to be done are mostly for the non-Microsoft programs you have installed on your computer and it's up to them to be compliant with SP 2 ... so go ahead and get this CD?

AND - of course, once you have the CD, anything extra M$ needs to do can be obtained from the update site...so go ahead and get this CD?

AND - No reason to wait for anything more on M$ part -- like another "version" of this CD to come out a month after we order this...so go ahead and get this CD?

I guess that about covers my questions. I have dial-up so I was kind of hoping this would be available soon. ;)

6. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

bump - hey, it's a new day...

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

1. You will need to get the patches for the 3rd party programs before you install SP2, the CD (probably) won't have any of these on it.

2. Thats right. The CD is useful for dialup people who want to install SP2 (which is a beeg download). Patches will still be distributed via Windows Update as normal.

3. I doubt that M$ are going to change the SP2 distribution at all, and if they do it will be in the form of a patch as they have fully released SP2 publically now.

8. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Thanks - went and ordered it - nice and simple.
    Now I've gotta wait and then install it (won't be so "nice and simple") :rolleyes:

9. Wisewiz

I've written up (and published elsewhere) fairly comprehensive instructions and suggestions for making sure that the upgrade goes as smoothly as it can on your machine. If you'd like to see them, PM me with your e-mail addy.

10. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

OK - I took you up on your offer :cool:

11. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

Hi
    I ordered my XP SP2 CD on 06AUG. Received it yesterday 26Aug.

12. Wisewiz

I'm really puzzled by your post. I thought that up until the 25th of this month MS was aying on all of its pages that the chance to order SP2 on CD would be offered SOON (that's soon, as in not yet). Then on the 25th, they posted the first page that allowed people to order the CD.

Where the heck did you get a CD before the Network Install (272 MB) file was even posted and available ?????

13. Wisewiz

BUMP -- just in case some didn't see Nick's post (with the looong title) above.

14. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Its possible he is a MSDN subscriber who got a preview CD, but.... yeah

15. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

"I'm really puzzled by your post. I thought that up until the 25th of this month MS was aying on all of its pages that the chance to order SP2 on CD would be offered SOON (that's soon, as in not yet). Then on the 25th, they posted the first page that allowed people to order the CD.

Where the heck did you get a CD before the Network Install (272 MB) file was even posted and available ?????"

HI:

The CD order page was open on the 6th for a few hours and I placed the order. As I said ... I did get the CD.

This is copied from the MS confirming e-mail I received:

Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Thank you for ordering the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. Microsoft has received your Order, and it is being processed. You can expect to receive your CD within 4-6 weeks.

Order Number: 01176393013315

Part Number: E85-03147

Product Name: Windows XP Professional SP2 English NA Patch CD Web Only Pro/Home

Qty: 1

CD Cost: Free

Shipping Charge: Free

Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies. Questions? Comments? Contact Us at http://register.microsoft.com/contactus30/feedback40.asp?domain=windows/xpsp2

Thank you,

Microsoft

We highly recommend that you update your Microsoft software to better protect against viruses and security vulnerabilities. Please visit us at http://www.microsoft.com/protect for details.

I just received a 2nd similar one 2nite. Looks like I'll be shipped a second identical disc :)

Happy trails,

16. nigneil146

nigneil146 Private E-2

I also got mine about 2 days ago. There was a link to order it way before they released the network patch.

I can take a pic of it if you like. :)

17. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah, I know, but I clicked on it and it said "you can do that soon" :confused: how come you managed to order it!?

18. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Holly! Molly!
    I ordered on the day this thread was started
    I got it today MON 30th.
    That's what I call Quick.

19. Wisewiz

Wow! Ordered on the 25th; received the 30th???
    Is it even POSSIBLE that came by the US Postal Service?

Anyhoo, congrats, ASUS. You done good. Now all you have to do is get your machine READY in all the right ways, and INSTALL the thing. G'Luck. (But I don't think you'll need it, cuz millions have installed it with no knowledge, no preparation, and no after-problems, judging by the very small amount of griping we're seeing on the tech-help forums.)

20. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I expect mine will come about Christmas time ;) Thats what usually happens with things being shipped from Microsoft UK

21. Den

Den Private First Class

I ordered one on Wed. Aug/25 and recieved it today Mon. Aug/30 now that is amazing. Delivered by the US Mail. Yet it takes almost that long to buy stamps at the local post office
    Den

22. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Yes is possible, and yes from the US postal service, shipped from Grove City OHIO. the sticker on packaging similar to UPS but is US Postal.
    I didnt expect till Thanksgiving, when I ordered the update cd it took ten weeks.

I have no intention's of installing yet, I too busy reading about everyone elses problems with it, for now "I'm just observing and taking notes".
    If, or when I do, I will do complete reformat and reinstall of windows first. There are too many program's I use on Microsofts problem list, I'll let everyone sort out those out and give some time for more fixes and more patches.

I seen a quote the other day something like "If Martha Stewart wasnt so busy trying to figure what goes with stripes She would tell everyone to wait a month or so to install SP2" it made me smile!

23. mozzar

mozzar Private E-2

if anyone has the SP2 CD and can copy from one CD to another CD than can you give me a copy of the CD. email me and i will give you my address to send it to.

24. mozzar

mozzar Private E-2

is there a way of downloading the SP2 for XP of the internet for free rather than getting the CD yet.

25. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Hi all,
    I have a question that I believe that all you knowledgeble people may be able to answer. Why do I see varying amounts of the Microsoft SP2 file being listed on different forums? The one that I downloaded from Microsoft was 266 megs. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

26. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Go to the Windows Update site to download SP2: http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us.
    Order the CD free from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

27. Vetterin

Vetterin Private E-2

Same here, ordered on the 25th, received yesterday 31.

28. Wisewiz

Some are counting a Megabyte as 1000 bytes, and some are counting it as 1024 bytes. The first way, the big file is 272 MB. The second, 266.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds