Thermal Event - no fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmollengarden@hotmail.com, Nov 24, 2008.

1. I have a Gateway E-4100. Seems to shut down due to a thermal event. The fan does not work. Replaced the original with a refurb. Still does not work. Cleaned up the old paste and added some new. No luck. Aybody have any other ideas?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Can you elaborate some on this? Does the new fan not work, or does the computer not boot with the new fan installed and spinning?

I am lazy tonight, is that a laptop or a desktop? Can you get into the BIOS?

3. Thanks. It is a desktop. The old fan did not start and the new one does not start either. The new fan seems to get a fast surge at boot up. I can see the fan attempt to start for a split second. The pc does boot up. Installed 'FanSpeed'. temperature runs at 95 degrees. I can use the pc, but I have removed the top and manually fan the heatsink, but it eventually turns off.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Can you get a power adapter and connect the fan directly to the PSU?

5. I am not that technically inclined. I barely managed up to this point! Any more specific help would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Is the fan plugged into the motherboard or a wire that goes to the PSU?

7. hi. it is connected to the motherboard. tried another connector, but it does not work either.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

9. fred, is there a setting that controls these connectors? maybe that is why the other is not working?

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Possible, but I would think unlikely. CPU fan headers would normally be on I would think. If you can get an adapter for the fan, we will be bypassing all of that anyway. You just need to get one that fits your fan's plug.

You could reset the CMOS to default just to be sure no settings have been changed in regard to fan controll. Or just poke around in the BIOS and see if some settings are off.

11. if i use the psu connection directly, will the fan turn on and off as usual? where are the bios found? thanks!

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If you wire it up directly, the fan will be on as long as the computer is on. For the BIOS, hit the delete button, or F8 or another key while the computer boots up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds