Thermal Paste Removal Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 03jbm3, Mar 16, 2006.

1. 03jbm3

03jbm3 Private E-2

I need to clean the thermal paste off one of my P4 processors. This isn't a general cleaning question, it’s very specific…..on top of the CPU, the heat block :)confused: , the big silver case covering the core) there is a small hole on the bottom corner. I have a bunch of thermal paste stuck in there from the previous heat sink. I hope you guys know what I'm saying, I can post a picture if needed. Anyway, what do you think is the best way to get it out of there? I don't want to go scraping it out but maybe that is the best way, I don't know. I want to replace my HSF and old thermal paste with a Thermalright XP-90 and AS5. Will this residual paste pose a problem if left in there? I would imagine this hole is a type of heat escape. Also, what is the danger, if any, of getting Articlean inside this hole and subsequently in and around the core? I guess just be patient and make sure it dries before using?

thanks for any help!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Best way is to take the processor out, and place it in Anti-Static Foam, and use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean it off (can get at WalGreens, Target, WalMart). Make sure it does not have WitchHazel, or Astrigent, or other chemicals.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds