thermal shut down circuit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by osaeed, Jan 19, 2010.

1. osaeed

osaeed Private E-2

Hi, I wanted to ask was, do cpus shutoff immediately if they reach to a certain temp that causes a thermal shut down circuit to activate?

I know modern cpus should have them. The bios also has options where you can set the cpu temp level so when the temps reach to a certain spike, the whole pc shuts off to prevent damage to the cpu core.

If you do not place a heatsink on a cpu (not for like 10mins) the cpu shouldnt fry up or even get THAT hot in just post mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto

That video shows old cpus back then, has anyone done a test to see if todays cpus even run for a bit without a heatsink?

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It really depends on ambient temp. But why do it and take the chance of damage? It takes less than a minute to fit a HS!

You wouldn't drive a car without water in the radiator unless you wanted "problems"!

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Check youtube for videos on medern cpu's without heatsink.

no time to look myself!

Burrell

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The faster an electronic circuit or chip runs the more power it consumes.
    So we can reduce heating by heatsinking or by slowing the chip down.
    All processors need heatsinking to function for more than about 2 minutes ( some much less) because of the intense concentration of power.

For quite a few years, Intel processors have contained internal circuitry which reduce their speed if they are overheating turn them off alltogether if this is not enough. Intel claim you now cannot damage one of their processors through overheating.

AMD have been much slower to introduce this safety measure but latest generation have it. I can't type the processor in your video but I guess it's too old to have the circuitry. AMD still don't claim thermal invincibility however.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds