These files might be harmful to your computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by randl, Jan 4, 2014.

1. randl

randl Private E-2

This is new to me. I just finished a build with a W7, 64bit Professional, OS and started using it as I did my old machine with similar OS (not professional).

I tried moving files from one folder to another and EVERY TIME I do this, the attached screen shows up and forces me to acknowledge it is "OK."

I tried the (un)helpful "How to decide... hot key - it is NO help.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this.....tumor?

Attached Files:

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Lower your internet security settings. Sounds like they are on high.

Or, add the network location to trusted sites.

It sounds like you are copying from a network share. Is that not the case?

3. randl

randl Private E-2

I am copying from one of my local "My Document" file to another file within the same folder. this has nothing to do with the internet.

4. randl

randl Private E-2

Actually "Copying" is not the right action. I am "grabbing" files I created within one folder and moving them to another folder within the same directory.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What do you have installed and does this behavior happen in safe mode? I've only seen this behavior with network shares.

6. randl

randl Private E-2

I have Windows 7 Professional, 64 Bit OS plus my Programs in an SSD card. My Documents are in an HDD with all my data. I have a z87 Deluxe MOBO; the one with wi-fi, but I have not used that ability yet.

That's it. I am not sure I understand your question.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try it in safe mode so that we can rule out a third party app causing it.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Also what are the folder contents? With the one you showed, scripts are likely detected as internet files which may trigger this.

9. randl

randl Private E-2

These are Notepad scripts in C# for a program I run. It was not a problem in my previous machine with all the same contents.

10. randl

randl Private E-2

Thanks.
    I am not familiar with safe mode. how to choose it and what would I look for once I am there?

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Same machine...with different permissions and owners.

Try taking ownership of the data and then move it.

12. randl

randl Private E-2

different Machine, same owner. Anyway, please tell me how do I tell the software I am the owner?

Thanks for the prompt responses.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Different owner too.

The GUID is what changes, it doesn't set it via string name.

"Adrynalyne" on machine A is not equivalent to "Adrynalyne" on machine B due to different GUIDs.

The easy way is to add the function to Windows Explorer context menu.

See attached zip, make sure you backup your registry first.

Attached Files:

14. randl

randl Private E-2

Thanks.
    Can you answer 2 questions?:
    1. What do the scripts do?
    2. What do I do with them? (How do I install them?

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They add an Explorer (right click) context menu item for taking ownership. The .reg files merely have to be right clicked and merged. One adds the feature, one removes it, but you should backup the registry to be safe.

16. randl

randl Private E-2

Sorry to be so dense. I see two files inside the folder after I extract them. What am I right clicking? When I right click either file I don't see a "merge" command.

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Odd. Double click it then?

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds