Thinking about building my first comp...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigman1182, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

Ok so heres the deal. I know a little about computers, but not everything. I currently have this comp:

http://www.gateway.com/product_spec.php?product_recid=529668220

The only things that I have replaced is the power supply, I added a 750W power supply and a GeForce GTS 250 1GB.

Now Im wondering if it would be better to just upgrade my processor to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=AMD_Phenom_II_x6-_-19-103-849-_-Product

And add 4G of ram, or to just build a whole new computer? Any Advice?

P.S~ Im doing this to be able to play Tera on max settings when it comes out, so building it for Gaming.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

That new CPU will not operate at optimum because the Mobo will restrict it.
    I think you would be better starting from scratch, when you are ready post with the budget you have and what you would like the PC to do (games video photo editing) and there are plenty of builders here who will be only too happy to help you.

3. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

I dont really have a quote for a Budget right now, I want it for gaming for when Tera Online comes out. I want stuff that I wont have to replace within the next 6-12 months.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Well without a budget it is difficult to help because we can suggest anything from $500 to $2000, it all depends how much you are prepared to spend.
    There is one maxim with building and that is "speed = cost" so the faster you want it the more it will cost.

5. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

True. So lets say at the most about 1300$.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

The most honest answer i can give for an awesome system build for this computer your wanting, is to wait. You said the game comes out in what six to twelve months right? That is a long time in computer world, lots of high end stuff changing in six months let alone the long end of your estimate a year. If your current system meets your current needs, then i wouldn't upgrade until you have a firm release date, and hopefully with a release date they will have the recommended / minimum requirements for said game. Also went and looked at the game website a bit, looks interesting.

7. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

Na, I dont want anything in the comp i'm going to build to have to be replaced in 6-12 months, Tera is (hopefully) being released jan'11 so a little under 3 months. I know when I bought the Geforce 250, like less then a month later, there was a better one already :'( I've played Aion, WAR, EQ, EQ2, FFXI, DnD, RoM, and(currently playing) WoW, And Tera looks like It will be able to hold my attention span for more then a couple months due to the Action Combat system.

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Meh, get a pair of GTX470's. They should be able to handle the load with an i7 as the anchor. As to buying hardware for a 'not yet released game' is nuts! JMO. This sounds more like a commercial than anything.

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

A pair of GTX470s and an i7 plus a mobo to take it and the budget is wiped out.:-D

10. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

Thanks for the Replys, What makes the I7s so much better then the AMD Phenom 6 core one that I listed earlier?

11. augiedoggie

Only the ability of running 8 threads. If I had the chance to re-build my machine, then I'd go with a 6 cored 1090T and apparently the 8 core will use the same pin-out, AM3. A chance for upgrade ability.From what I've read, Intel's next chip will leave the 1366 format which is why I may go back to AMD.

12. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

8 threads total? or per core? I know very little about threading so meh :( From what I was reading the reviews of the AMD 6 core was able to keep up with the new i7 in performance.

13. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

14. Bigman1182

Bigman1182 Private E-2

I was talking to a friend of mine, and he recommending getting a SSD as well. Would I be able to get a SSD for just a boot drive for windows 7 and have like a 1.5TB reg hard drive for everything else? Or would that not work?

15. augiedoggie

Sure, though I don't know MSI

That's what I do, I have a 40GB X25V Intel SSD and it works great! Just install your anti-virus/malware programs to the SSD and the rest to the 2nd HDD. Make a new partition or at least a 'Program Files' folder. However, for a desktop, it's not worth the current price IMO.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds