Thinking about overclocking, what should I know?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Resolution, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

So recently I've become pretty interested in overclocking, and my logic goes; the more you know, the less likely it is to go wrong.
    I read through ACE 256's very informative guide and understood most of it, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be concerned about.

-I heard of something called tRas and Trc? What's that all about?
    -How do you know if your PC has AGP:pCI lock? What do you do if it doesn't?
    -If I need to OC my RAM, how do I raise the latency timings?
    -At what temperatures should you keep your GFX card running below?

If your BIOS locks the options for things like FSB, is there any way to override these locks?
    CPU+Mainboard info if it helps:
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    Codename: Northwood
    Revision: D1
    Technology: 0.13µ
    CPU ID: F.2.9
    CPU IDEx: F.2.9
    Brand ID: 9
    Microcode: MU0F292E
    Number of Logical Processors: 2
    -------------------------------
    Mainboard: Intel Corporation (Intel)
    Product : D865GLC
    Version : AAC28909-410
    Serial Number : BTLC41903324
    Support MP : Yes, 1 CPU(s)
    Version MPS : 1.4

Thanks guys

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

As far as I know the D865GLC cannot be overclocked from the bios. It may be possible to overclock via software though. Post the numbers on the PLL chip and I will see what I can dig up for you.

3. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

PLL: CY284090C

I sent an email to the guy who made CPU FSB, sadly he replied with this:
    But I would still appreciate answers to my thread as I'll probably be buying a new PC later this year. Atm I'm set on a Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz with a 650i MoBo and 4gb of RAM; I hope to up it to 2.8 or 3GHz.

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Are you talking about getting a OEM system or building your own ?

5. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

Probably building my own as after looking around and comparing with MESH and DELL it seems like it's a bit cheaper since you don't get bundles with things you don't necessarily need. And also it's easier to get exactly what you want.

6. driftwood2000

driftwood2000 Private E-2

Hopefully this thread's still active - it's been a couple of months since anyone posted to it, but I stumbled across it while looking for information on overclocking my Intel D865GLC board.

Just to let you all know, it *is* possible to overclock this board using CPUCool / CPUFSB. It seems the board uses a 952601 PLL, which CPUCool will tell you is not overclockable. However, if you use the ICS 952607 PLL setting instead, this *will* allow you to overclock the board. I got the information from this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=2164&page=2&pp=10, and I can confirm it works. I'm now running my 3.2GHz Northwood at a healthy 3.4GHz as a result (stock cooling, CPU temp 40C idle, 50C under heavy load) :)

7. socom324

socom324 Private E-2

Ok i have the same motherboard and i dont think im doing it right because it didnt work for me can you help me out

8. driftwood2000

driftwood2000 Private E-2

I really can't add much to the instructions on the link I directed you to. Are you sure it hasn't worked? The new CPU speed won't show up on your MyComputer specs until you reboot. Try using a package like PC Wizard to tell you what your true CPU frequency is.

Also bear in mind that if you're using the free version, you'll lose the new CPU setting next time you turn off your PC - you'll need to fork out for the full version to get the new speed every time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds