Thinking of upgrading Firefox.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spock96, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hey Guys,
    I'm running an older version of Firefox and wanted to upgrade to FF10 (I think it's 10 at least.)
    If I download it will it just take all my bookmarks and saved things and put them in the new one?
    I've never upgraded this since I got this version.
    I have done minor updates though.
    Thanks,
    Spock96

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

By all means upgrade your firefox to the latest version. All kinds of new features are included, and still a very fast browser. As for your bookmarks, they are handled automatically and are migrated to the new version for you.

3. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Thank you.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I like Firefox and have used it for years but for the last 6 months I have been using PaleMoon. It is essentially Firefox but it's a little leaner and they have restored some of the things that Firefox has done away with like the status bar at the bottom. You can add your bookmarks to it with the json file as suggested by gloozit.

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Hmm i tried the 10 version did not like it some of the stuff i use don't work with the newer version.

6. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

If you are talking about extensions not working that's status quo for Firefox when it comes to version updates and it's up to the writer of a particular extension to update it. 10 is way faster than 3.6, however the memory leak issue is still there.

7. pcunite

pcunite Private E-2

I would switch to Chrome if it would not auto update. Firefox has it beat when you want to control your own security.

8. Goldenskull

I know lol and yes the mem leak is still there

And i know that the creators of the ad ons i use need too up date some stuff for version ten.

9. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

10. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Well, if I could have culled all that from your post I wouldn't have bothered to reply. ;)

And regarding the post above about the plugin-container, it states at the Mozilla forums that disabling it will cause most of the plugins to fail at some point during use.

11. Goldenskull

Basically the plugin-container.exe help's with firefox's Crash issues and too me thats kinda point less and on top of that when it stays in mem it takes more and more memory no point in it taking memory when it does not need too.All you have too do to turn it off is in address bar type About:Config then in the filter type this Dom.ipc then when the only 6 the first line is on false the other 4 turn to Flase just double click on them.Then close firefox then reopen then it should be gone.

12. falconattack

I haven't the choice changing the
    Dom.ipc , help me my friend !! :confused

Attached Files:

13. Goldenskull

What version of fox you running.Looks too me your going too have to add them missing Boolean too firefox so you should be able too shut them off
    Basically all you do is

Type Dom.ipc

and then
    In the white section of the page right click a small box will show Then go down too New then in the next option click on Boolean then another box will pop up for name add each ones that are missing.And then just double click on each of them too turn it off.
    [​IMG]

http://technogadge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Stop-plugin-container.exe-Firefox.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  14. Themishmish

Themishmish Private E-2

Agree as long you don't care much about your privacy

15. Goldenskull

Way do ppl need too push stuff on others if they don't like chrome then they don't like it plane and simple one thing about chrome is you can not adjust crap in it.I can get firefox too work three times better then Chrome if needed.

16. pcunite

pcunite Private E-2

Yeah, that is a big concern too. Of course, Firefox makes like $50 million from Google ... I don't know what info they give them though.

17. falconattack

Thank for your help my friend , change as you told me , am i right now ? :confused

Attached Files:

18. falconattack

My version is 10.0.2 Goldenskull !! :wave

19. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

FF is at 11.0 as of 14th March. I've installed it on 6 windows partitions (2K, XP, 7) and have noticed no problems.

20. Themishmish

Themishmish Private E-2

First, I voiced my opinion, I don't work for google but I can say what I think.
    As for your firefox, teach me how to do that and I will be leaving switching to firefox easily.

21. Goldenskull

yes it will as far as i know it will.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds