Thinking of using Norton Internet Security on new latpop

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Mar 10, 2013.

1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I recently bought an HP laptop that, of course, came with a trial version of Norton Internet Security. I registered it for the free 60 day trial period. The last Norton product I used was Norton Antivirus 2002; I used it for several years by renewing the annual subscription. That worked fine but I stayed away from Norton, beginning sometime in 2005, or whenever it was that Norton no longer supported the 2002 version I had, because Norton was getting criticism in later versions for being a resource hog and having too heavy an impact on computer performance.

However, Norton Internet Security seems to work quite well on this new laptop. The So, I've been thinking I might try it for year once the trial period expires. On my older laptop, now dead, that ran Windows Vista, and on my Windows 7 desktop system, I used/am using avast! Free Antivirus and have been quite pleased with it. And, I'm aware that Windows Defender in Windows 8 is an antivirus program.

Interested in any comments on the subject.

2. samtal

samtal Corporal

I always use the free programs like MSE or Avast. They do a great job and are free.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Until the day that MSE and Windows firewall let me down (and it's been quite a few years already), I'm sticking with the freebies too.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I agree that paying for something when there's several free options doesn't make sense. My personal preference is Comodo Internet Security Free.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Thanks for the comments, guys. Yeah, I think I'll use Norton for the trial period and then go with one of the free options. I occasionally get questions from acquaintances regarding some of the antivirus programs and using Norton for the 60 days or less will give a chance to get more familiar with it before I make a switch to something else.

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I prefer AVG myself.

It's free, easy on resources and the wallet if you'd like the entire software suite.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you are regularly being asked for help then that approach has to make sense.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds