Thinkpad t40 Ethernet Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by luma13, Nov 14, 2006.

1. luma13

luma13 Private E-2

I am having some issues getting the internal ethernet card to work on a T40 running XP. I have installed the current and previous 3 drivers for it and it installs just fine but when I hook it up hardwired it says there network adapter unpluged.

Anyone else having issues with this?

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

When you first installed the card, did windows reconize the card? Possibly change the card to another slot and restart. ed

3. luma13

luma13 Private E-2

hey ed,

It is the built in card/port on the side of the laptop, I just installed XP new on it and XP did not recognize the driver

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Do you mean when you plug the modem in it dosent reconize it? When the driver is installed, it should say, new hardware found. ed

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Yo, If he uses an internet connection he has to plug it in there, what the hell is it used for? ed

7. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

XP doesn't "recognize" hardware like external cablemodems or DSL modems plugged into an ethernet port. There's no "Alcatel SpeedTouch Home (or Motorola SB5100) found..." messages, or even "router found"-- there are no OS drivers for them. XP only recognizes if the ethernet connection is unavailable, hence the "Local Area Connection cable unplugged " message.

8. luma13

luma13 Private E-2

Thanks Doug for clarifying that,

It looks like when I reinstalled xp, it didn't remove everything like it should have so a lot of the files have stayed back. I think I am going to try and format the drive and reinstall windows cleaner and see if it recognizes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds