this is embarrassing but...

Discussion in 'Software' started by crazydriver16, Dec 14, 2011.

1. crazydriver16

crazydriver16 Private E-2

i have windows xp and a pw protected account....my keyboard stopped working and now i can't get in to have administrator privileges to update drivers or fix this....

i have checked the kb itself and even tried a diff. one.....it's ok....any ideas

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you restart the computer in between switching keyboards? Keyboards are discovered before Windows starts so make sure to reboot with a keyboard attached.

If they are both USB keyboards then the next thing to try would be an older PS/2 (round connector) type.

3. crazydriver16

i have the older style

4. sach2

Again, make sure you reboot with either keyboard already attached.

Do you get any lights on the keyboard during the reboot? A quick flash of all three lights and then eventually the num lock light on solid is normal.

5. crazydriver16

yes, i have done the reboot and the lights come up as you say....

6. sach2

That sure appears that the keyboard is recognized. Does F8 during the BIOS or manufacturer's splash screen get you to Safe Mode options? (I'm trying to figure out if the keyboard is working but it is a problem with the logon page)

I am on my way out, so I hope someone will jump in.

7. crazydriver16

thanks sach....when i go to safe mode and get to the options page, i believe the kb works

8. sach2

In normal mode what happens when you get to the welcome screen. If you have more than one account how do you choose/move to the account icon you want to log in to (using arrrow keys or mouse)? When you select the account name and it opens a password box are you just frozen? No asterisks appear in the box when typing password and/or just hitting Enter key doesn't give you an "incorrect password" message?

Can you enter a password in Safe Mode? If you can get into safe mode you might try to create a new account (Controll Panel> Users) with administrative privileges and see if you can then log ito that one using normal mode. That would completely rule out a keyboard problem. I'm not sure what the next step would be but the extra account could always be deleted later.

9. crazydriver16

can't log in either way...i can use the mouse to use the general account and that's it

10. sach2

Just to determine if the keyboard is active during the welcome screen instead of using the mouse to select the user try using the left and right arrow keys to switch the highlight from one user to the other. Does the highlight move?

11. crazydriver16

no, it does not

12. sach2

Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. So the keyboard doesn't work in Windows at all. When you get into the other account you can't use the keyboard either, only the mouse.

I'll try to think of a way around this. The only thought I have at the moment would be to use something like Trinity Rescue Kit to create a bootable CD. Then boot from the CD to remove the Windows password. That should get you into the admin account where you could get to System Restore using the mouse.

It seems a bit complicated and I hope I am missing something. I have never had a PS/2 keyboard stop working only in Windows. I'm not even sure there can be a keyboard driver problem since it such a generic driver but removing the password would get you admin privileges.

13. crazydriver16

correct....it does not work at all in windows

14. crazydriver16

ok, so i need a flash drive
    or cd

15. crazydriver16

16. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Did you install PCAnywhere? The latest version was preventing our keyboards from working after reboot. Installed anything recently? Tried a restore point?

I don't know if this may help..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317246

17. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

You will have to burn the iso image of Trinity Rescue kit using something like Imgburn in order to get a bootable CD. Video is shown for Windows 7 but same procedure for XP. Start at 3:53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40zDUCoysr0

18. sach2

Hi, tgell had some suggestions for removing the password from within the limited account using the onscreen keyboard. Once the password is removed we can try a System Restore. (I don't have a computer running XP available so you may want to try System Restore from the limited account to verify that it won't run from the limited account before going through this procedure.)

If we are correct you can get into your limited account then from it:

Use the mouse to go to Programs>Accessories>Accessibility and launch the onscreen keyboard.
    Then click Start>Run.
    Using the onscreen keyboard, type in cmd with the mouse and click enter. Then at the command line, still using onscreen keyboard type the following:
    echo %computername%
    This will return the computer name which you will use in the following command:
    runas /user:<computername>\<user> cmd

So for example, if your computer name is Bob_PC and your account with Administrative privileges is Bob the command would be:
    runas /user:Bob_PC\Bob cmd

This opens a new command window with Bob who has administrative privileges as the user. You should then be able to type the following:
    control userpasswords

This opens up the control panel for User Accounts and passwords. Then the password can be removed from the Bob account.

once the password is removed, you should be able to use the mouse to select Bob from the Welcome screen without entering a password and attempt a System Restore to get the keyboard working.

19. crazydriver16

ok, this may work....my user account is Mike Simpson....can u tell me exactly what to type? cuz it's not working with what I'm typing......Thanks.

20. sach2

Does your user name have a space in it between Mike and Simpson--that may be a problem? What is the name of your computer from the echo command?

21. crazydriver16

yes, it has a space

22. tgell

What is your computer name using the echo command?

Can you use the on-screen keyboard with notepad opened and click the command you are using then paste it here? Then we can see if anything may be wrong.

23. sach2

Try this substituting the ComputerName you got from the echo command for Mike_PC below:

runas "/user:Mike_PC\Mike Simpson" cmd

Example to clarify the spaces in the above command:

runas(space)"/user:Mike_PC\Mike(space)Simpson"(space)cmd

24. crazydriver16

c:\Documents and Settings\Hector's Account.MIKEPC>

is how it reads now.

25. tgell

I am going to defer to sach2 on this because I am probably making this thread more confusing by jumping in.

26. crazydriver16

please don't...all help is greatly appreciated...thank you!

27. sach2

That looks like you are giving us your prompt description.

Try this at the prompt:

echo %computername% and hit <enter> and give us the result. Then I'll edit the command I gave you removing Mike_PC which was just a place holder in that command and substitute the actual computer name.

28. crazydriver16

tried that at the prompt....just repeats it

29. tgell

You have to add the % symbol before and after computername or it will just echo what you typed.

30. sach2

Try cd \ and hit <enter>
    then do the echo %computername%

You should then see:
    C:\>
    C:\>echo %computername%
    YOURCOMPUTER'SNAME
    C:\>

31. crazydriver16

by computername u mean what my account labeled, right?

32. sach2

No your computer name is different. We need both the computer name and your account name (the one with administrative privileges).

I believe XP will also give your computer name by right-clicking My Computer icon and selecting Properties. The computer name should be listed in the information in that window.

33. crazydriver16

full name = mikepc.

34. sach2

If you are certain there are no dashes in the computer name then the command would look like this (notice one is a backslash and one is a forward slash):

runas "/user:mikepc\Mike Simpson" cmd

To show where spaces are in the command above: runas(space)"/user:mikepc\Mike(space)Simpson"(space)cmd

It should ask for your password. If it gives an error let me know.

35. crazydriver16

but i am not getting to this point....it has the general account at the prompt

36. crazydriver16

ok, i got there! now what? lol

37. sach2

That should have opened up a new command window. In that window you want to type
    control userpasswords and hit enter.
    That should open up the Users window where you can click on your account and choose to remove the password. You will have to use the onscreen keyboard to input your password. See if that works.

38. crazydriver16

ok, so when i went to enter my pw windows xp security systems 2012 came up and booted me off...that was last night and then i had to leave...

39. sach2

It sounds like malware might be the cause of the keyboard problems. If the keyboard works in Safe Mode, I think you should do the Read and Run Me First in the Malware forum and then post your logs over there. It will be the only permanent solution.

40. crazydriver16

ok....it worked and i successfully removed my pw.....so now i need to do a system restore....does it matter how far back i go as long as it's before the problem?

41. crazydriver16

Success!!! And the keyboard is up and running!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!! Sach, you in particular....Never would have imagined how difficult basic functions were without my keyboard!

42. sach2

You're welcome. That was tgell's method and i am glad to know that it worked. It could come in handy for someone else someday.

Yes, most PCs will just stop the POST/boot process if a keyboard is not found since they are so integral. As much as I hated the invention of the mouse, I find I am lost without it now.

Do be advised that that XP Security 2012 sounds very dodgy and you might want to stop by malware and post your logs to be sure the system restore was sufficient to keep you going. You will probably know the next time you reboot whether you will have a problem.

43. crazydriver16

Ok, so I did the system restore and Avast wouldn't work so I called their support line and they helped me re-install it....Upon doing so, the technician said I had viruses.....I'm sure I do and don't know how to get rid of them.....Any suggestions?

issues that need to be fixed

1. virus issues
    2. registry issues
    3. errors and warnings
    4. potential risk
    5. optimization of the computer
    6. junk files
    7. optimization of the internet
    8. removal of the unwanted start up and services

reason for the issues : non servicing of the computer

44. tgell

I believe sach2 was saying for you to start a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum. Please read the following Sticky Post and then attach your logs to your post. There are members there who will help with your infection.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  45. sach2

I'm glad you started a thread in Malware. It will be a bit of work but it is the best way to get your system sorted out. Just take your time and work through the steps one by one.

Good Luck! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds