this just don't make no sense at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeltaJ, May 27, 2006.

1. DeltaJ

DeltaJ Private First Class

I bought a brand new enthernet card. a D-Link 530TX+ to put in an older computer for network and internet connection. Now this old computer has had a network card in it and it has connected to the internet and the network. I took out the card to put in another computer cause I wasn't using this one.

now I'm using both again I got a new card put it in. it is installed correctly, shows up in device manager and the power light turns. but it dosen't connect to the internet or network. nor does the card show up in winipcfg. I tested the card in another comp and it worked fine. I just cannot figure out what the problem is especially why it dosen't show up in winipcfg. WTF is going on.

2. LostAndFound

LostAndFound Private E-2

I know it won't explain why it's not working, but if the new card works in another pc, and you have the card that used to work in the pc with the problem, you could always switch them over.

3. user_x

user_x Private E-2

You didn't give enough information to help you. What operating system? It sounds like Windows 95/98/ME since you mentioned using WINIPCFG instead of IPCONFIG.

What type of home network do you have setup? Uninstall the driver, reboot then install the driver software again. Upgrade the chipset, and test the connection without using a router/switch between your dedicated line. Turn off all anti-virus and firewall software when testing connectivity.

Also - did your OS automatically install the drivers for you when you installed the card?

When installing a NIC, all it takes is a very small amount of power to cause a short circuit. You may have damaged some parts of the NIC when installing it unknowingly. Here's a quote from an A+ Certification book I have, just so you know how easy it is to damage computer electronics:

"On the other hand, walking across a carpet can produce anywhere between 1,500 to 35,000 volts of static electricity...Picking up a plastic bag can charge your body with between 1,200 ro 20,000 volts"

Most system components use 24V, 12V, 5V and 3V to operate. If you aren't using an antistatic wrist strap and taking the proper precautions it's very easy to cause latent damage to your computer parts without even knowing it.

I really doubt that ESD is the cause of your problem but you mentioned swapping out hardware multiple times with no mention of any safety procedures being taken. If you don't have an antistatic wrist strap just touch the chassis of the computer before touching any computer hardware. Frequently touch the chassis to ground yourself and avoid ESD.

4. DeltaJ

sry

1st its Win98se, I tried 3 differnet cards including the one that used to be in it and none are working. but all the cards work fine in other comps. I installed the driver that came with the CD. I tried installing it numerous times still the same thing. old comp dosen't have any firewall or anti-virus software in it yent. and ya I always touch the case before touching the parts. The cards are diffenatly not fried.

5. user_x

user_x Private E-2

https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/hcl/Win98HCL.txt

This is the Hardware Compatibility List for Windows 98. Make sure that your cards are listed there. You didn't mention what OS the other computers were using, so this may be the cause.

Update the chipset:

AMD-

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336~3226,00.html

Intel-

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-009266.htm

6. DeltaJ

they're all running Win98se. the card has drivers for win98se and works in the other win98se comps. the card war working in this comp before now omething happened and it's not working.

7. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Without being at the computer and having past knowledge of what was installed or what you changed, I can only guess. You said that you took out the card and started using it in a new computer - what changed in your software configuration since it had that NIC in it? Installed programs, configuration settings that got changed, etc.

Post an output of your WINIPCFG please. Hmm.. if none are working now you may have damaged part of your motherboard, sorry to say. Upgrade the chipset and then try all 3 cards (especially the ones you KNOW work in that computer) and then see. You should check the properties of the network card under Network Connections and see if the default gateway is improperly defined as well. Or just post the WINIPCFG here so I can see for myself.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  8. DeltaJ

only thing that appears is the PPP adapter

Adapter Address 44-45-53-54-00-00

IP address 0.0.0.0

subnet mask 0.0.0.0

Defualt Gateway Blank.

only thing I did was uninstall AVG anti-virus. other then that it's been sitting in my comp room in the basement.

9. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Wait, you have another card installed in addition to the D-Link? Given the nature of your problem, try to eliminate all other possible variables.

If you already updated the chipset, take out the other card and reboot the computer. Press F8 after the computer POSTs (it will beep once to announce that it POSTed correctly, begin pressing f8 after that). Boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and then see if you can get a connection.

10. DeltaJ

only other card installed is a 56k dial up piece of crap. but Ill try that

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds