This might be nothing...(PC making noise)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack Bando, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

Then again it could be something.

PC is 3 years old, Vista, Desktop, HP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxhwE1u4YUc

A short video which has me putting my camcorder next to the power supply. As far as I know, it just started making the noise this morning. It's loud enough to hear, but any sound (PC speakers, talking, etc...) drowns it out a little.

I already opened and dusted the PC.

ty

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I'm pretty sure that video doesn't include your power supply.

3. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Sounds dirty to me. Buy a can or two of canned air (Dust Off or another name brand is better than off brand) from Wal-Mart or the likes, open the left hand side of the case (viewed from the front of the case), and clean that thing out!

5. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

Did that already. Can't really get into the power supply, can only shoot air into it's back fan. Should I open the power supply somehow?

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Okay. Have you visually inspected inside the power supply fan (flashlight helps) to see if there are chunks of dust, etc. inside? If so, dislodge and remove it using whatever... tweezers, small screwdriver, vacuum cleaner hose attachment, etc.

It's either that, or the fan is hitting the fan casing barely, causing the noise, in which case you could note (by manually turning the blade) where it's hitting and attempt to bend the fan casing.

And no, opening the power supply is not a good idea.

7. Jack Bando

Jack Bando Private E-2

I sprayed it from every side I could hit and this time it seems to have stuck. If it makes noise again I'll visually inspect. ty

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds