this MIGHT make sense

Discussion in 'Software' started by homegrownbmx, Jan 24, 2006.

1. homegrownbmx

homegrownbmx Private E-2

ok, so i want my website to all run out of one srolling window. like everything doesnt have its own obvious page. does that make sense? http://midwestbmx.net/ click on the main picture and look at the rest of it. i dont want to mock any site it just looks kind of similar to what i want. does anyone know how to do that?

2. jaythewebguy

jaythewebguy Private E-2

Umm, Homegrown...

I looked at that site and did a view source on the page. That's just a simple frame defined in a table cell. You do know how to view a page's source, right? Not that I'm trying to be sarcastic, but some folks have never done it.

Or did I misunderstand what you're trying to do?

3. homegrownbmx

homegrownbmx Private E-2

i might know how but im not sure. explain what you mean...

4. jaythewebguy

jaythewebguy Private E-2

Browse over to the page that you want to emulate., IE., make it display in your browser. Now, if you're using IE or Firefox, at the very least, move your mouse to the top of the window and left click on "View", then down towards the bottom of the menu that should appear, you'll see a choice that says "Page Source". Select that and a new window will open showing you the magic html code that makes this all happen. Be advised, though, that you will not see the contents of the frame doing this, but that part of the window is just a series of text lines with embedded <BR> tags and <A href="something"> tags. Oh, and there are also a few embedded <HR> tags.
    --
    Jay

5. homegrownbmx

homegrownbmx Private E-2

ok i see that now... what do i do from there?

6. jaythewebguy

jaythewebguy Private E-2

Well, if you're on a windows machine - I don't work on Macs, you're now looking at the page source in a Notepad or Word window. Go up the "File" menu on that window and you can now save this source to your own system. Then, just edit it to do what you want.

Can I make the assumption here that you can write html code? Or at least that you can understand what the page source is telling you? From what I saw, that particular page is not very complicated, and it would be relatively easy to replace images in it and recode the page that gets loaded into the frame. If you do these things, then it's now your page and it may act like theirs, but it doesn't have the same appearance.

7. homegrownbmx

homegrownbmx Private E-2

i know SOME html... not tons but i can kinda put some things together. ill see what i can do

8. homegrownbmx

homegrownbmx Private E-2

how should i save it?

9. Publius

Publius Sergeant

Homegrown,
    How are you editing your HTML? Dreamweaver?

If you have some HTML understanding, here is a brief explanation of the page you are trying to emulate:

The main page (home.html) is a frameset. The HTML code you see by viewing the source of that main page is what defines the images and links you see around the scrolling box in the middle.

The scrolling box is another HTML file that is embedded in that page that carries the name 'frame' -- hence the 'target="frame"' parameter in all of the links (the <a href=... tags)

If you are using an editor, save that home.html page and a couple of the linked pages and bring them up in your editor to get an idea of how to manipulate the site.

10. homegrownbmx

homegrownbmx Private E-2

im not writing any of it, i just use the tools provided by the host.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds