This one has got me stumped. Computer will not go to yahoo.com

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fred_G, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I built a computer for a client, it has WinXP Pro, service pack 2 plus more updates. It will not go to www.yahoo.com Now, it will go to google.com, majorgeeks.com, just not yahoo.com, using Opera or IE.

I built it, upgraded the OS, could be a virus or something, never seen this before. The old socket A computer next to it can go to yahoo.com using the network line from the offending computer, so physical layer looks good.

It just does not like Yahoo? Got me stumped.

E

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

what exactly does it do, is there an error message, or just times out? have you tried another browser (i'm assuming your trying ie, what version)? have you tried to reset your settings? what about trying your browser w/o any addons? - sos

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm... if it can get to other sites, that would seem like all layers of the OSI model are satisfied, and since other computers on the same connection can get to the site, it doesn't seem like a external name resolution problem.

Can you ping www.yahoo.com from the problem machine? If so, note the IP, and check if it is the same as a machine that CAN access the site.

If it is not, clear the local DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns), check that the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) isn't overriding proper name resolution, and ping again. Do you get the correct IP address?

If it IS the same, check that yahoo has not been added to the restricted sites list. (IE Tools Menu --> Internet Options --> Security Tab --> Restricted Sites --> Sites button)

Alternatively, If you CAN'T ping, and yahoo is resolving to the correct IP address, check if there are any firewall rules for that IP. (disable firewall temporarily, if need be). Again, if it doesn't resolve to the right address, clear the local DNS, and check the hosts file before dousing the firewall.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the info. Here is what I have now: This is on a fresh installation of XP Pro. I can ping www.yahoo.com, just can't go to the site with IE or Opera. I get a 'Could not connect to remote server' error (in Opera). I can go to Majorgeeks.com, but if I try to download Avast, I get the same error. Very odd. I fushed the DNS, turned off the firewall, no help.

No changes have been made on the PC, just installed OS, updated OS, installed drivers. After thinking about it, I m leaning towards a defective ethernet port on the mobo. Will try a PCI NIC this evening. If that does not work, I will transfer a full round of anti-virus and anti spyware to it via flash drive and see if it has been hit by some nasties. It has only been on while updating XP, but who knows.

E

5. 152217

152217 Private E-2

You could also try this:
    (I use this to mess with my friends)
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open the file "hosts" with notepad. Towards the bottom of that page, it should say something like

127.0.0.1 Local Host

Then, somewhere (underneath local host) it might say yahoo.com or www.yahoo.com. If it does, delete it and the IP address directly to its left. Save the file. That should fix the problem (if it is you problem)

You could also try opening cmd and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" (which you have to do to fix the local host problem, anyways)

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Got it fixed. Should have posted in the hardware section. Put in a PCI NIC, and all is well. Damn physical layer messing with me again!

E :D

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

How odd!

A physical issue where you COULD ping?!!?

Glad you thought of troubleshooting bottom-up, my first thought was to go top-down. (and not just at swinger's parties :D )

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Weird one. Acted like a poorly made cat5 cable. Works great with a PCI card... Who knows. The guy I am building it for aint picky.

E

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Fred_G, I read in the hopes I will learn something. Are you saying that the NIC on the motherboard was fluky so you put in a PCI NIC to solve the problem?
    I ask, just in case some other poster elsewhere can get to some sites but not others and nothing is showing up in the hosts file.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That solved the problem. I am not so sure the onboard could not have been fixed. The guy I built it for buys cheap stuff from werever he can, and needed them up and running ASAP. I built 2 'puters and the one had weird network malfunctions. I could go to MajorGeeks.com, but it would 'lock up' after a page or 2.

Honestly, it was like a bad Cat5 cable. If you have ever had one of those you know the feeling. Works great, then does not work. I knew my cable was good, so I took a chance and tossed in a NIC. I am curious and would have liked to play with it, but with my schedule, and the guys need for a computer that worked, I took the easy route. (Even used his NIC cards in it).

E

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks. Good info, hopefully I'll remember it if someone posts a similar problem.

12. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It didn't solve my problem :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds