Thoughts on cold fusion

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kodo, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

?? never used it.. was just interested in some opinions on it in comparison to the moer commonly used web languages like PHP, ASP, .NET
    Thanks

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

me too, but ive heard it was a bit of a fad made for Macromedia's web-dev stuff...

ive heard it uses tags and stuff like HTML, and its database access is very fast, but im not sure how well supported it is and whether overall its worth it.

:) awaiting someone more experienced than me to reply still ! :)

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

It just seemed like it was not as low level a "language" like PHP, ASP, .NET..

4. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The basic opinion I have seen about it is that it was designed for people with a background in HTML and no experience with programming at all. That means it can be very easy for newbies to learn, but for experenced coders, I think it means you have to relearn things you don't need to with PHP or ASP.

It makes no sense to me, since if you're dealing with server-side scripting, you should be familiar with JavaScript. It generally goes HTML --> DHTML --> SS scripting. There is no reason to use CF anymore. .ASP has better integration with business apps (i.e., MS apps) and PHP is free. Business tend to go either Win2k/IIS/MS SQL/ASP or Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP. Or Solaris/Apache/Oracle/PHP, I guess.

The only place I see it anymore is for message boards. Anandtech's message boards are CF-based, for example.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  6. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

I do .asm :D I've looked into CF and from what I saw it was so-so... I'll just stick to PHP myself....

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

You have confirmed my suspicions.. thanks :)

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, you could make a web server and then you'd need hardly any scripting at all! Make one completley customised, that will do what you want it to without relying on passing pages and stuff.

but it would be hard to try and update it tho! eeesh :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds