Thoughts on this setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fzan, Jun 23, 2005.

1. fzan

fzan Private E-2

DFI NF4 Ultra-D;

AMD 3000 + Venice;

G.Skill or Corsair VS 1 Gig;

6800 GT; and

Antec 480

I have never overclocked before and am willing to try it, provided it's not too hard. This will be mostly for gaming, I have the rest of the necessary parts. Thanks for any input.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Nice setup... if you're overclocking that setup, have some decent cooling please!!!

3. fzan

fzan Private E-2

not sure if i'm going to overclock or not.

if i do, what extra cooling would you recommend? thanks.

4. encrypt

encrypt Private E-2

i would look into some good fans, and possibly a better cpu if your running stock. i have a set up similar to yours, well performance wise, and ive been having alittle trouble keeping my processor cool while playing games like wow and hl2. i found a temporary solution by getting this portable 8 or 9 inch fan and putting it right next to my computer, but thats only untill i get my fans in.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556014034.html

those are some fans im really looking into getting, they max out at 4000 rpm's, and move alot of air...there alittle on the loud side, but thats understadable concidering there spinning at 4000 rpm's.

if your looking for more fans or other stuff that is a good website to do it in. there prices on cooling items are abit cheaper than newegg, i just dont know how they are with delivery. im ording my parts tomorrow, so i will let yall know.

p.s. you can also look into some arctic silver 5.

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

I would look into full copper heat sinks for your core and change out your basic 6800 cooler too, fans are useless if you cant move the heat from the cores to begin with. I would also suggest a full ATX case. I personally LOVE this case http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-293.html and is what im currently using, althought I had to change my PSU and be creative when it came to streching the cables [​IMG]. The mobo is mounted upside down and the memory/cpu is inside a 120mm*2 air tunnel and the HDD's are mounted below the PSU to cool em better.

6. russian master

russian master Private First Class

no comment on the cooling, i dont oc...after a little...graphic oc incident...but i would recommend upgrading your cpu to a 3500 or 3700 if you can swing it

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

:confused: Omegamerc m8,I first had that case for my neo plat 2,the top of the air tunnel ran straight through the cpu socket and heatsink,so I removed it,like yours the atx 12v wouldnt reach"guess?".I returned it anyway,any chance of a photo to see how you got it to fit?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds