throughput of HDD to Cd-Rom?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bloodnut, Oct 22, 2006.

1. bloodnut

bloodnut Private E-2

hi guys, just registered and now a major geek!!

so im at work and the boss recons we need to test the throughput of the IDE cables/devices.

i have found benchmarking tools for the hdd, and the cd-rom, but i need something to benchmark information going from my hdd to my cdrom.

does this make sense to anyone? im still confused as to what he means.

any help would be greatly appresiated!!

cheers and beers

tristo

2. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

Actually...
    Providing that the HD and CD-ROM are on their own IDE channel...
    EX: "HD is Master on Primary IDE and CD is Master on Secondary IDE"
    The transfer speed of data going from CD to HD would default to the slowest device...
    Witch is usually the CD-ROM output speed.

HD to CD-ROM speeds would be useless to measure unless your dealing with a CD or DVD-RW drive.
    If you ARE dealing with a CD or DVD-RW...
    Take the maximum transfer speed of the CD in the benchmark...
    Divide that number by the maximum read speed. 52X... 54X... 56X... etc...
    Then multiply your answer by the maximum write speed. 4X... 8X... 16X... etc...
    And you'll have the maximum transfer speed from HD to CD-RW.

3. bloodnut

bloodnut Private E-2

geez im such an idiot!

well yeah i mean a cd-rw. anywho what you said jinx makes sense and ill probably put that in the report i am going to write to my client. What you mentioned is perfect for calculating the throughput speed...

but is there a device or software which will measure it? possible tabulate or graph it out?

whoohoo!!

thanks everybody

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds