Thunderbird metro and classic

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Feb 6, 2013.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Is metro the desktop with tiles and Classic the desktop itself?
    I ask because I am thinking of using Thunderbird as Win 8 email client but I think you download it to classic.
    Obviously I am confused about how this is done and also the teems.
    I had some issues with Essentials to use WLM so am asking for an alternative.
    Thank you
    Peter

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Metro allows for basic at-a-glance apps. It is not a desktop and cannot be used as such. These apps run fullscreen. Desktop allows for fullblown apps and those are more akin to prior versions of Windows.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Download Thunderbird to your downloads folder and run it. It will install as a desktop program but you can pin it to the Start screen too if you want as that's just an alternative way of launching it.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

My download location is desktop. I can do that and save it as a tile.
    Thank you both.

5. Earthling

Just realised I didn't answer your first question. The term Metro has been replaced by Start and it's Win 8's equivalent of your old Start menu. It's just a collection of shortcuts to anything you want. You can remove tiles you don't want - in my case every one of the default 'apps' - and add tiles for the things you do want simply by clicking Pin to Start. Once you've got your Start screen slimmed down and organised it becomes perfectly usable as your start menu, though I still much prefer the original.

The term 'Classic' is normally used to refer to Win 98 style desktop and menus, but I think you are reading it as meaning Desktop, which is fine.

6. Earthling

peter, tiles are only used on the Start screen. On your desktop you save files or shortcuts. It's bad practice btw to use the desktop as a download folder. You should use the Downloads folder in your user profile.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

You said,"
    Download Thunderbird to your downloads folder and run it. It will install as a desktop program but you can pin it to the Start screen too if you want as that's just an alternative way of launching it.""

>>I will change my download location and could leave it at that -I assume you are referring to the download to Firefox.. May I ask, is it true each browser has its email client? I am a bit confused about the relationship between email clients and browsers and OS's and would like to clarify it rather than let it pass.
    For example, MSIE 10 has Windows Live Mail, Chrome has Thunderbird,
    and so on? My logic is false if Thunderbird can be used with MSIE 10.
    Any clarification would be appreciated.
    Peter

8. Earthling

Most browsers, including Firefox, will by default download to the Downloads folder in your user profile - Username\Downloads. If you want you can change that location in the browser's options and/or override it for any specific download.

You can use any email client you want regardless of which browser you are using, as your email client doesn't need to use your browser to download or send emails unless you click on a hyperlink in the message, in which event it will open whichever browser is set as default. Your example of IE10 and WLM, and Chrome and Thunderbird simply isn't so. You can mix and match as suits.

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

That is what I was looking for.
    I now understand the whole puzzle not just the pieces.
    Thank you once again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds