Thunderbird Problem(s)

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Oct 24, 2012.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I think these two things are related since they have cropped-up simultaneously. I can only guess there is a problem in my "settings" (which I understand/know very, very little about).

There are three (3/multiple) "Unified" email accounts here. I have tried eliminating one at a time to no avail.

1. The "Time-out" problem constantly occurs for the gmail account.

2. My emails stopped showing-up here on 10OCT12.

I unistalled/reinstalled and the problems went-away (both), but have now re-occurred.

Thanks in advance for any assist.,
    g...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

grc123:

Nick T is on it. Scroll down to Change connection timeout. I fixed a similar problem increasing this number...

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well friends, I tried . . . no luck. :(

Started-out by doubling the default (from 100 to 200)..worked my way up to "1000" . . . not sure it would be any different no matter how many zeros I added..? rolleyes

Thank you all just the same...guess I'll be looking for an alternative to Thunderbird...no choice really. :confused

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  5. cipher

What name do you have for the mail server?

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ironically (though hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened) by virtue of you having me peek into the server name (imap.googlemail.com), I happened to notice that the Security Settings appeared "IN-secure" (Connection Security set to "None")...in fact this was the case for the gmail account as well as the other two mail accounts.

Setting them (all) to "SSL/TLS" brought-about a torrent of mail delivery (more than two weeks worth for three accounts!).

Many thanks to you both here, Nick T. and cipher!

All seems well enough now, though I must admit, I am wondering if "SSL/TLS" is the appropriate setting, as opposed to a 3rd possible choice of "STARTTLS"...?

7. cipher

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Occam's Razor! If it ain't broke, don't fix it - Exactly!

I'll peek at the link nonetheless . . .

Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds