Tiger Direct

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Binary Newbie, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Binary Newbie

Binary Newbie Private E-2

2. Binary Newbie

Binary Newbie Private E-2

I don't get it. How is that link supposed to answer my question? :rolleyes:

3. General Disarray

General Disarray Private E-2

They are very fast at processing your order, but if you need to return something that was broken durring shipping or still under warranty they can be a nightmare. Go to Google and type in "problems with Tiger Direct" and you will tons of posts that indicate this.

4. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Binary - When it comes to TD, I've heard both praise and horror stories, but more positive comments than not. I guess it depends on which part of their HR turnover cycle you catch them.

Most complaints involve not getting the parts you ordered and the hassle of returns. I'd shop around the local computer marts to see if they have a comparable computer.

5. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

I purchase things from them for work and have purchased things from
    them for personal use. For the business purchases they are excellent, very friendly don't have many hassels with returns\exchanges etc..
    For personal purchases, it is another story. I have had many orders that were the incorrect items shipped, trying to return something and its a bitc*, their customer service center is not too hot also.

Systemax is Tiger D's "houde brand PC" company. I have heard that their warranty service is pretty godd but I don't have experience with them.

Check to see if there is a store anywhere near you to actually look at the desktop.

You can always build your own!

6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob MajorGeek

7. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Have him build his own, $1,000 for that pc is getting ripped off

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Never used Tiger Direct so cannnot coment on how good they are or not... but one question from scanning over those specs is,

Is your friend a gamer or wanting to play games? if so its lacking in a decient GFX card as its using onboard gfx!

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob MajorGeek

If you or your friend can assemble a computer, take the $1000.00 and time
    to shop carefully. The end results will be a very nice rig with $$$ leftover for
    more games/software.

10. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

vBulletin is one of the few, if not only, forum software that conveniently abbreviates the display of really long links. Otherwise, you'd be scrolling left and right to read everything in this thread right now.

I have purchased occasionally from TD with no problems. I've never had to return anything, though, and have also read negative reviews of them elsewhere. Bear in mind people are more likely to gripe about the occasional bad service they receive, and less likely to praise good/normal/acceptable service.

I bought one of their house-brand barebones systems back in the Celeron 600MHz days for use in my office, and it's still running strong. I kind of think $1000 is a tad high for the one in the link you provided, for what you get.

Although I tend to purchase online more from Amazon, buy.com, Dell, newegg.com, and sometimes from computers4sure.com and eCost, I must say I found a power supply for an HP computer at TD that no one else had, and at a very good price.

11. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Yeah, and you can even get good advice on here as to how to go about building it:)

12. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I was disappointed mainly in the prices at TD, but I'm still using the Seagate HD I bought there several years ago. I didn't have to return it, so I can't verify that.

I've since gone to 3btech.net for computer purchases.

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

newegg.com

14. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

newegg.com
    !

15. King Edward

King Edward Private E-2

I purchase from TD. No complaints on the company. I bought a case with power supply once, and the PS was defective. No problem getting the PS replaced.

16. madscott

madscott Private E-2

Systemax is Tiger D's "houde brand PC" company. I have heard that their warranty service is pretty godd but I don't have experience with them.

Check to see if there is a store anywhere near you to actually look at the desktop.

You can always build your own![/QUOTE]

Systemax actually owns tigerdirect as well as other companies, not the other way around, I have made many purchases for TD, and do not have a complaint and would recommend them from my personal experience.

17. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

I purchased memory modules over internet and they were fine, and also pretty cheap.

18. schudaddie

schudaddie Private E-2

19. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

I have used them a lot and have not a single complaint. Keep in mind that if you go searching the net for complaints about anything, you are going to find a lot of them about everything! newegg.com is also outstanding. I have not bought hardware from somewhere besides one of those 2 sites in a long, long time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds